RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

a very cool site

Old 04-09-2006, 05:28 PM

a very cool site

nothing to do with photoshop but something maybe you guys will find intersting i came across this in another forum and wanted to share it

There is a relatively new site up on the Net with a live broadcast from Hornby Island just off the east coast of Vancouver Island Canada. It is sponsored by Hancock House which is an environmental group that supports various wildlife activities.

Anyway . . . they have mounted a web camera just beside an eagle nest and you can watch the activities in a streaming video. Two eggs have been laid and they will hatch at the end of this month. There is also sound.

The site reports over 2 million hits a day with 5,000 online at any one time. It says to use Windows Media but that didn't load for me.

Here’s the URL:

http://www.infotecbusinesssystems.com/wildlife/

You may have trouble getting it to load due to the heavy volume of traffic to the site.

Give it a try particularly if you have kids it is fascinating.

Additional info:

There is a 30 second commercial that plays when you first connect - it pays for the live feed - so the site is free.

If it wont load and you have Windows Media Player try copying this URL into the File > Open URL tab .... mms://array.galaxytelevision.net/hanlive/hanlive.wsx

Be patient, it's well worth waiting for.

(thanks to Goldhat at 419eater.com)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 01:19 AM

wow. that's pretty cool. worked fine without any hassles using mozilla.

thanks

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 06:22 AM

works great for me also, the quality is excellent (i am broadband) and the eagle gorgeous, will add to favorites and will come back later in the month to look for chicks

Palms

p.s. just thought with all the time zones we could have virtualy 24 hour coverage here ! ! ! ! !
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 08:42 AM

ok, here's a bit of an oddity. i thought i'd take a screenshot of the eagle. so, i went to fullscreen mode first. then, i hit the 'Print Screen' button on my keyboard. i called up psp 10 and hit 'control v' to print the image. a black picture (the background) came up with the live feed showing in this new image IN PSP! in other words, the same thing that was showing live on the web camera was now showing live in psp in the new image! never seen that happen before...and i still couldnt take a screenshot... lol.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 11:54 AM

Ran into same problem when trying to capture a still from a film. Try this. Hold down "alt" while pressing "print screen." This copies directly to the clipboard.

An alternate is "cntrl-i." This brings up a "save as" window.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
ok, here's a bit of an oddity. i thought i'd take a screenshot of the eagle. so, i went to fullscreen mode first. then, i hit the 'Print Screen' button on my keyboard. i called up psp 10 and hit 'control v' to print the image. a black picture (the background) came up with the live feed showing in this new image IN PSP! in other words, the same thing that was showing live on the web camera was now showing live in psp in the new image! never seen that happen before...and i still couldnt take a screenshot... lol.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 12:54 PM

wow didnt have a clue you could do any of that i leave it on in another window when i can (i have 2 monitors) so i watch her alot i love it when she talks i was wondering is there a way to record the video on a dvd? does anyone know and if so how btw i have discovered that after dark when you cant see anything the site reruns the days video so if anyone wanted to record it you might could just take clips or partial somehow although its above my intellegence but i would like to be able to do that so i can record some of this to show my grandson at a later time any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 11:01 PM

hmmm the site seems to be down, however, I did notice that the small add, bottom right, to the main screen is for sale to advertise for 10k per month...spendy!
~Nancy~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2006, 11:49 PM

hmm i got it but its showing todays video from earlier assumably because its now dark there its worth a second try i view mine with windows media player and click open url and enter mms://array.galaxytelevision.net/hanlive/hanlive.wsx
i dont even see the site itself i guess just the video
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2006, 01:41 AM

froggy, i tried loading it directly into windows media player, but all i get is 'now a word from our sponsors' and the 30 second commercial, but it wont do the live feed. i think if i could load it directly like you're doing, i could get a screen shot.

and steve, control i wont do it and neither will alt print screen. all i get is the same sort of thing i was getting the other ways.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2006, 05:37 AM

Great cam, I've been glued to it
I've got it set as my desktop wallpaper so I can view it all the time. If anybody else want's to do it, just copy and paste th text below in to note pad, and save it as eagle.html , then set eagle.html as your desktop wallpaper
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<body bgcolor="#000000">
<p align="center">
			    <object classid="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6" type="application/x-oleobject"  width="640" height="480" align="top" standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components..." id="Player" viewastext="viewastext">
                  <param name="URL" value="mms://array.galaxytelevision.net/hanlive/hanlive.wsx" />
                  <param name="AutoStart" value="true" />
                  <param name="uiMode" value="none" />
                  <param name="EnableContextMenu" value="true" />
                  <param name="stretchToFit" value="true" />
                  <embed src="mms://array.galaxytelevision.net/hanlive/hanlive.wsx" width="640" height="480" autostart="1" align="top" type="video/x-ms-asf-plugin" pluginspace="http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wurecommended/s_wufeatured/mediaplayer/default.asp" showcontrols="0" showdisplay="0" showstatusbar="0"></embed>
                </object>
</p>
</body>
</html>
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon