RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

damen "It took eleven months (close to 2,000 hours) to create...

Old 04-17-2006, 03:02 PM

If you look at the fine art section of his page he has other pictures that are much better (albeit smaller) than this latest one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrustic
I build wooden ships as a second hobby. The last one I finished took about 450 hours to complete. Passion is everything.

Rich
Exactly!

You took 450 hours to produce something that cannot (?) be manufactured commercially. So when someone sees the ship they know how much time and expertise went into it.

This guy spent almost a year of his life producing something that looks just like a 2-second amateur snapshot!
To me, that is very sad.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
Exactly!

This guy spent almost a year of his life producing something that looks just like a 2-second amateur snapshot!
To me, that is very sad.

The fact is no matter how good he gets it still doesn't look "exactly like a real photograph. There in lies part of the merit of the work. The subtle differences from reality produced photo-realistic artwork serve to create an almost hyper-real image that has very interesting qualities. These images may have the same subject matter, composition, lighting... as the original photo but the subtle differences create a completely different tone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 07:23 PM

im impressed i wish i could say that i could produce something half that good in twice as much time. as for time wasted or lost i think if he is that into it and wants to spend his time that way i admire him. i personally am the type person that i get to impatient to see results therefore i would never be able to devote that much time to one project whether i had the time to devote or not so again i admire the artist
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 09:58 PM

The first thing that comes to mind just about everytime I see this image posted and discussed somewhere:

Quote:
After working on La Grande Jatte for two years, Seurat exhibited the painting in 1886 at the eighth and final Impressionist exhibition. The large picture, measured more than two meters by three, and executed in an entirely new technique using dots, was received in very different ways, like the first Impressionist exhibition twelve years before. It was precisely the picture's technique that aroused the most displeasure amongst the public, critics and artists.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videosean
The first thing that comes to mind just about everytime I see this image posted and discussed somewhere:

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
OK the end result is impressive, but for me, not at the cost of 2000+ hours of my time.

But it takes all sorts I guess, and I really enjoyed the image, and the world would be a much poorer place if we were all the same.

The artist has the time, patience and skill. Amazing work!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon