Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Hard Drive Balancing

Old 05-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Hard Drive Balancing

One of the most often forgotten disk maintenance tasks is the Hard Drive Balancing
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2006, 01:54 AM
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2006, 01:59 AM
I just put lead on the light side of my drives, saves moving data
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2006, 04:52 AM
Bit redistribution

Well I can tell when my hard drive wobbles. So I remove it from my computer and run the drive through my wringer washer out here on the island. The wringer squishes the bits across the drive balancing it nicely. I would recommend that this be done once a week.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2006, 09:21 AM
I can't wait until Photoshop CS3 comes out!! It has a built in HD Balancer option in the Save and Save As dialog boxes. When checked, PS will convert the image file from 8 bit mode to 32 bit mode and in bits 25-32 it adds 1's or o's to balance those exactly with the number of 1's and 0's in the first 8 bits so that the weight of the image is perfectly balanced. Now when run on 2 Dual Core Pentiums in 4 GB of RAM, PS can effectively eliminate 100% of potential wobble (which could defocus the image) when its scratch drive and main storage drive is an SATA 12,400 RPM 800 Gigabyte SpinDoctor Drive shortly to be released by Maxtor. It is rumored that the digital camera makers will very shortly follow suit. With these advances in technology, retouching will never be easier.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2006, 09:35 AM
well, because a harddrive is magnetic media, the ones are negatively charged and the zeros are positively charged, so i just take the drive out of the bay periodically and give it a good sharp rap with a hammer. and, like any good magnetic substance this rearranges and evens out the charges nicely.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Man this is - uh - ok. So I first open this post, read the first post, click the link. I am reading... and reading - Ok, this can't be for real, I tell myself - then I read the rest of the posts...

This is seriously a joke right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by 1STLITE
joke right?
Absolutely not!

The notion of balance in data goes back hundreds of years to the old masters. They were always looking for balance in their paintings. That is where the rule of thirds in paintings came from.

It is that now, for the first time you actually have software and hardware following their lead and doing something about. The new SCSI drives that were announced on 4/1/2006 have a built in utility that make sure all the bits are neatly organized so that you don't have all the data on the same size of the platter. It evenly organizes the pixels so they are evenly distributed.

Very cool technology.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Hitachi has announced a new vertical "1" technology that makes the 1's and 0's the precise same weight. If this goes into production, it will make hd balancing obsolete.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Yes, I heard of that. I did get rather worried about the consequences.

As you pack more bits onto the drive you have to consider the problems inherent to the increase in angular momentum. So the disk is fast becoming a gyroscope - and every one has seen a gyroscope doing gravity-defying stunts.

Worse still, there is an intense magnetic field due to the vertical packing of the bits. In theory a rapidly rotating magnetic field can shield gravity and, some say, even generate anti-gravity.

I'm sure the folks at Hitachi have worked this out, but if speeds keep getting faster and bit-packing denser - soon we'll have to strap the computer down, otherwise it will start levitating.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon