RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Hacker Threat..

Old 05-31-2006, 06:05 PM

Hacker Threat..

Hello : Our daughter received a threatning e-mail from an unhappy customer, and is threatning to figure out by her e-mail address and website address the names and e-mails of her customers and then will e-mail them with slanderous statements about her business.

I am just sick about this. Our daughter has worked hard to build a good and honest business. She is a person of good ethics as well. This person is a nut case from my point of view, but still wondering if any one here knows if this is possible?? He is the first and only customer she has ever had to deal with that was this ugly and hateful.

Can some one tell me if there is somewhere she can report this threat to? He said his friend is a computer nut and can do anything and they both work for the government . This does not seem like an idle threat. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Janitor

Threats of this type go to the FBI. But there's no way he can "figure out" her customers just from her email address and web address.

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 05-31-2006 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2006, 06:52 PM

I knew it would be you Doug to respond. THANK YOU!
She found this out today and sent the mails to them but they were blocked ?? She may have to call them first to let them know she wants to forward the mails to them. I am afraid this person is crazy and knows their name and address from her WEB PAGE. This kind of thing scares me!! Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2006, 06:54 PM
Janitor

They have a web page to file complaints:
http://www.ic3.gov/
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2006, 10:28 PM

sorry to hear that...

Of all things going on in the world that one can expend negative energy about, I am sorry to hear that it is something like this on your daughter.

I learned one thing after being assaulted, best to have things reported ahead of time, that way if he EVER trys anything, email assault, slander anything, it is reported.

I am sending good digital energy your way.

glad you brought this up, and I hope others get to read and learn from this situation.

Regards,

Dane
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2006, 11:38 PM

Report it immediately (tto the police too...get a case file open) and remove all contact reference off the website (way too much personal info to be on the www). Can she have anyone stay with her so that she is seldom alone? Does she drive? Make sure she has some sort of baton in the car within easy reach as well as something like mace (something that is legal in yor state). Has she ever done any sort of self defence? If not get her to go...they will teach you how to use her keys as a weapon! Ensure she has mobile in her pocket (not her bag) within easy reach...even at home it must be by her side. These are all preventative measures and habits she must get into. Sorry...I don't mean to cause a panic but rather safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 AM

Woah there, I wouldnt go that far. !

Sounds like a lame empty threat to me. Just ignore it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2006, 02:53 AM

It is concievable (but unlikely) that they could hack into the e-mail server and read any e-mails currently on the server (they are only plain text files), and any old deleted e-mails, as they are not removed from the server until you compact your folders.

But your address book is kept in your e-mail client (on your computer), so is not accessible to them.

Get your daughter to compact her folders, and all old deleted e-mails will be removed from the server.

To do this in Outlook Express click File > Folder > Compact Folders in Thunderbird its File > Compact Folders

This just sounds like so much hot air though, particularly the government bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2006, 04:58 AM

Sounds like someone with an overinflated sense of self-importance. Likely its nothing to worry about, just some immature idiot who thinks they can get their own way by sending threatening emails.
Make sure she has antivirus protection and a decent firewall. If its just some script kiddie who thinks he's 1337 then she's got nothing to worry about, ofcourse, if he and his 'friend' really do work for the governement then its perfectly possible that they could access all her past emails.
As much as I love the digital revolution, the anonymity and immediateness of the medium makes this sort of thing far too common.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2006, 05:49 AM

In my mother language we have an expression that translates as: "barking dogs don't bite", which seems to apply here, neb. I'm with Doug, Nancy and aceman: don't worry too much*, keep good records and logs, don't respond to this idiot, and this will probably soon be history.

*In fact that huffin' and puffin' really is a quite hilarious demonstration of impotence...

Last edited by RokcetScientist; 06-01-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon