Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Making Frodo in Photoshop

Old 06-14-2006, 10:00 AM
If you look at the reference image and his version, there are a number of small differences, the ear, the hair, dirt on his face, no sweat and the *ahem* drapes
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Might be some additional tips here (different image, same idea).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by NancyJ
But why bother with all that work only to come out with what you started with. The end product is the same as what you started with - so I dont see much practical application for this.
With that logic why paint or draw or render an image in any sort of way? The point of the tutorial is to show one person's (and probably many more) way of "drawing" with Photoshop. In this case he chose to use an exsisting image to draw from (for obvious practical reasons) but it can very well be adapted to a landscape, still life, live model or any other subject matter.

Dismissing the tutorial in this way is like saying that a skin retouching tutorial is impractical because the model is blonde and my model is dark haired. I think there is quite a lot to be learned from the tutorial in the same way you can learn quite a lot from watching someone work in traditional media.

It's very easy to get boxed into retouching and simply dismiss anything that doesn't fall neatly along established modes of working. I think embracing these other forms of expression ultimately leads to a more wholistic approach to whatever we choose to do and will ultimately make for better artists all around.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Actually, if nothing else this tutorial shows in great detail the amount and intensity of colors found in the human face which is indispensable to those colorizing photographs. I would say this tutorial can be of great help to those participating in this month's contest which includes quite a bit of colorization across a broad spectrum of faces.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2006, 07:41 PM

This is the original link... and working absolutely fine.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon