RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Making of Yuka

Old 07-20-2006, 05:58 PM

I would be curious to see what people here think of Bert Monroy's work... well... then again... I'm not sure I'd like to know...

I tend to think it's a real shame when very talented, artistically sound people get completely discredited because their work is forced out of certain people's very narrow definition of art. The greater shame is tha many of the memes, tropes and techniques these narrow-minded people have come to base their own work on are owed in large part to the efforts of these artists they constantly attempt to discredit.

There is no point in me sharing my photorealistic painting as the arguement has nothing to do with my technical skills or what I personally can or can't do. That really has little to do with anything. If however the argument has devolved to that point I think it's rather moot to continue it as "I know you are but what am I" would soon become a valid retort. This is a shame also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2006, 06:38 PM

Well said goose.

I also think some people just like to make sure everyone knows that they KNOW MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE EVER!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2006, 02:27 AM

What you call this...?

http://www.cgarena.com/gallery/2d/de...eportrait.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2006, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashras99
What you call this...?
AWESOME and well done!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2006, 07:50 AM

Wink Art?

I never understood why does people bother...?

The line is very thin... what art is and what it is not.

Now... Mr. Lucasz Szeflinski's Yuka tutorial.

In my opinion: It's great. It really is a simple, step-by-step, visual guide to get you started.

Nancy... About the TUTORIAL, if you really didn't learn anything it means you can do it right? Are you a REALLY talented artist?? because if you're not, You shouldn't write that kind of comments about someone who really is.
And... about the WORK it self ...I don't think you really thought "it was basically just a series of pictures" Because, when you sey it like that, it sounds easy and dull. If you really think it takes a REALLY talented artist to create something like YUKA then... don't take the credit away from him with something like: Oh... he just did THAT, any talented artist can do it... It's just plain dumb. Don't you think?

goose443... I don't think is art either, ... but as I said in the first place. Who has the final word in the subjet? I know I don't and I don't think you do

Again sorry for my english.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2006, 10:36 AM

Godmother, I'm not debating his talent as an artist/copier - its the quality/value of the tutorial that I have an issue with.
Its a series of images with a handful of sentences scattered between them. It doesnt go into any detail about anything (except the brush settings), it doesnt instruct the reader or give them great insight into his technique - nor does it provide the reader with the necessary skills/tools/knowledge to replicate his efforts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2006, 10:41 AM

This is a tutorial.
And fwiw, its art too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 AM

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
This is a tutorial.
And fwiw, its art too.
Very good tutorial. Very good art
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2006, 11:05 AM

What does this whole conversation prove?

IMHO this WHOLE conversation proves the following:

1) Jealousy of souch a talent makes people blind
2) Art cannot be tought (not even with 1000000 tutorials)
3) Art does not need complex things that others can "learn" the "secret" from them (in contrary... complexity vs art)
4) When people cannot immitate what they really want to do... they try to find flaws (pfffff.... who needs it)
5) I am jealous too (LOL)

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta1900
IMHO this WHOLE conversation proves the following:

1) Jealousy of souch a talent makes people blind
2) Art cannot be tought (not even with 1000000 tutorials)
3) Art does not need complex things that others can "learn" the "secret" from them (in contrary... complexity vs art)
4) When people cannot immitate what they really want to do... they try to find flaws (pfffff.... who needs it)
5) I am jealous too (LOL)

I think all the thousands of art schools in the world would disagree with you there.
While true art is something that has to come from yourself, the techniques to express that art CAN be taught. Even the greatest painters in the world started with stick men.
As for jealousy - I have no need for jealousy, my own portfolio of work was, at one time, highly sought after. But I have since moved away from photorealism as a genre, realising the futility or pursuing a goal that can never be achieved. I now work digitally, free from the constraints of convential media where I can create art
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon