Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Making of Yuka

Old 07-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by NancyJ
I think all the thousands of art schools in the world would disagree with you there.
Of course!!! They wouldn't have anything to "sell"!!

While true art is something that has to come from yourself,
You cannot be more right!

the techniques to express that art CAN be taught.
Again right!!!! ...but true art is not based on technique... even less from others technique!!! for jealousy.... it was mostly a personal realisation and judjement.

sorry if I offended you
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2006, 10:50 AM
This was a good diccussion/debate. I hate I missed it.

I did want to add in a couple thoughts of my own, if that's ok.

First- the digital painting is very beauiful. I do think it is better than the original photo, the artist has indeed added something ,even if only to make the composition more pleasing.

I began as an artist, a fine artist before the "digital revolution." I went to school and learned about mixing paint, about seeing things as they are.

I am sure you have all heard this before, but for those of you who "think" you can't draw, it can be learned. Pick a simple photo of something not too elaborate to start (say a Coke bottle), and turn the photo upside-down, and draw that as you see it. It is part of teachign yourself that, as NancyJ said, it is indeed the difficult part - drawing what you see rather than what you "think". You will suprise yourself. Turnign the image upside-down tricks your mind - the shapes become less recognizeable for what they are and become shapes and form and light and dark. Someone who is a natural artist has this inate ability to do that, but anyone can be taught to do the same.

Mixing paint, even if the photo or object is right in front of you, is very very very.........very much more difficult and different than using the color picker in PS. Serisouly - if you haven't ever tried it and really think it is easy, go try it. It is Fun though, too. So enjoy it!!

ANywho - those are my thoughts for the most part. It is really good to see everyone having these discussions, and being so good about it. RetouchPro is SO the best place EVAR. lol Seriously.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon