RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Arrrrrrgh!

Old 01-19-2002, 07:59 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Arrrrrrgh!

I've been having a problem getting my scanner to associate (?) with the new software for Windows XP. Windows kept telling me that the software was not compatible with XP, and if I installed it I could have problems. I did not install it, but it was on my system. I've been having all kinds of problems, and today my computer froze up so badly that I couldn't even turn it off manually! I had to pull the plug. So I decided to revert my hard drive. All of a sudden, I am able to scan an image for the first time since getting the new computer, although I don't have any control over it (and it isn't good). But I think that's something I can get help on from the scanner forum. Here's the big thing -- I've lost all of my e-mail addresses, and e-mails that I've received recently. So if I should have your e-mail address, please send it to me again. Now you know why I haven't been around much.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2002, 09:24 PM

What type of scanner and system specs do you have? I'm running XP Pro and an Epson scanner and haven't had a single glitch. I know XP has had some difficulty with Via chipsets and that may be a consideration!

Randy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2002, 04:52 AM

Is this your new machine Ed ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2002, 08:10 AM

Yes, this is my new computer. It seems as though the problems began when I downloaded the new driver for the scanner. My scanner is an Acer 1240UT. The new driver has a different look than the old one, and I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. I've only tried to scan a photo one time, and it worked although it didn't show me the new driver (from Acer) interface, which I rarely used anyhow. I use Vuescan, and I'm trying to get it installed. If anyone here is familiar with Vuescan, here's what I have now. I have the newest version, and I have two folders. One of the folders is under Windows\prefetch, and I have a file by the name of Vuescan.exe-3678AA03.pf. Since I'm pretty much computer illiterate, I don't want to try to install the file until I get confirmation that's the right one. I also have 5 other .exe files in the C:\Vuescan directory. Can I feel safe in installing the .pf file I referred to above? Or is that even possible?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2002, 12:17 PM

Ed,

The prefetch executable is not an installation file! If you have autorun disabled through XP try opening up the installation CD and there should be a folder that is named Vuescan or something similar. In that folder you should find the Setup executeable. Double click that icon and you should be on your way. The autorun icon is not useable if it is not initiated from placement in the CD. Therefore if you click that icon, you will get an install menu, yet the function buttons will not do anything. Nifty little catch 22 that they have built in!

I would also uninstall the previous versions of your drivers and striclty use the new ones as they are most likely more XP friendly!

Hope some of this was a help!

Randy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2002, 02:11 PM

Thanks Randy. I don't have a CD as I had to download the new version from the web. I do have a C:\Vuescan folder. I'll see if there's a setup file in it. We have company coming in about 15 minutes, so it'll havew to wait till later. I'll let you know the results.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2002, 08:46 PM

Everything's cool now! ???? We had company most of the day, and my son in law is pretty good with computers. He got Vuescan running, and it actually works! This is my first chance to try things out since he installed it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If you don't hear from me tomorrow ------well...........

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2002, 08:51 PM

Good for you Ed. Glad to hear things are up and running smooth now. It sure is nice to have a computer geek in the family at times like that. Keep us in touch with your progress.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2002, 09:16 PM

Ed,
just one little thing that might help you. If your computer freezes up again.Before pulling the power plug out try holding the on/off button down for 10 seconds, that usually works turn the computer off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2002, 09:55 PM

Thanks Sandra. If I have that problem again, I'll give it a try.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon