Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

the Gift

Old 02-07-2002, 01:56 PM
art is a language and like any language there are those who are fluent and eloquent in their use of it, and there are those who just get by but still manage to communicate perfectly well.

Sam -- I love your analogy. It encourages me to continue my efforts at creative expression, since I've never considered NOT talking even though I'll never be as eloquent as Jesse Jackson or Ronald Reagan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2002, 04:59 PM
Sam, I totally agree that a restoration does not produce "art". However, I would say that the restoration work itself, can be considered an art, in the sense that it requires a skill or special ability.

But of course, that's just my opinion. I would ask, if we all had the same tools, knowledge, and training, could we all produce the same results? Or....

.... Is it something that some will do (seemingly effortlessly) while others will be forever incapable?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Vikki - don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking your definition of art! Absolutely - good photo restoration requires a lot of time, patience, experience and skill, plus an eye for detail - all of which are necessary attributes for an artist - no co-incidence!!!

I suppose that Doug's original question may be answered fairly simply - Yes, some people will seem to do it effortlessly and Yes, some people will forever struggle. And it doesn't matter whether you're discussing photo restoration or the painting of the Sistine Chapel. C'est la vie!

Happy art-making!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon