RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Comet alert - last chance for N. Hemisphere, S. Hemisph - Start Looking!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 10:03 AM

Comet alert - last chance for N. Hemisphere, S. Hemisph - Start Looking!

"NASA astronomer Tony Phillips says Comet McNaught is the brightest comet visible from Earth in 30 years. It is six times brighter than Hale-Bopp in 1997, and 100 times brighter than Halley's Comet when it appeared in 1986, Phillips told The Associated Press on Thursday."

"It will remain a spectacular comet for weeks, perhaps months, in the Southern Hemisphere," Phillips said. "It could emerge as the brightest comet in recorded history."

http://media.skytonight.com/images/McNaught_1.jpg

http://skytonight.com/observing/home/5133461.html

Excerpt from above link (Sky & Telescope)
"If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, January 12th is your last good opportunity to catch Comet McNaught in the evening twilight though January 13th isn't completely out of the question. After that, Comet McNaught will become a target for observers in the Southern Hemisphere, as shown below.

The comet is already too low for reasonable viewing at the end of civil twilight, so your best bet is to start looking immediately after sunset. Start scanning with binoculars immediately above the spot where the Sun disappeared, and then move slightly to the right as time passes. While you're at it, see how soon you can pick up Venus. If you can find the exact right spot, it should be visible to the unaided eye as soon as the Sun is gone. "

We are having a bit of cloudy weather here in the "Valley of the Sun", so I may not be able to see if (if I remember to look tonight). I LOVE comets, and we haven't had one viewable to the naked eye for a few years. I hope some of us get a good view -- you Aussies will get a chance starting tomorrow, I guess.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 01-12-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added info about brightness
Old 01-12-2007, 01:01 PM

Re: Comet alert - last chance for N. Hemisphere, S. Hemisph - Start Looking!

I read about this in a daily newspaper today

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007010705,00.html

and promptly forgot to look as i left work ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

like you C.J. i like to watch comets etc and take a photo of a black area with a tiny bit of light in it as proof

Palms
Old 01-12-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1
I read about this in a daily newspaper today

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007010705,00.html

and promptly forgot to look as i left work ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

like you C.J. i like to watch comets etc and take a photo of a black area with a tiny bit of light in it as proof

Palms

Palms, I got a photo of Hale-Bopp that made me happy -- it showed the tail! Lousy photo, but my first comet photo. Actually, it was probably my first comet -- I was so excited that Halley's comet was coming (after I had waited all my life for it), and I don't think I ever really saw it -- just looked for something that might be it. Hale-Bopp was easy to see at night, and I was even able to point it out to other people who were also seeing a comet for the ir first time.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Patron

COOL! I'm definitely gonna have to check that out over the next few nights. Thx for the 'heads up' CJ
Old 01-13-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz
Palms, I got a photo of Hale-Bopp that made me happy -- it showed the tail! Lousy photo, but my first comet photo. Actually, it was probably my first comet -- I was so excited that Halley's comet was coming (after I had waited all my life for it), and I don't think I ever really saw it -- just looked for something that might be it. Hale-Bopp was easy to see at night, and I was even able to point it out to other people who were also seeing a comet for the ir first time.

Sorry to say it but i saw Hale-Bopp ( ditto photo) and Halleys ( no photo) but i did get one of mars as it was visible with the naked eye
Glad to find there is someone else like me I try to encourage friends and neighbours to see these events, but they think i am a bit bats shame they are missing out as it is history in the making ! ! ! ! Also i have seen a meteor shower late at night in the cold but worth it,
Once a month a usually have a look at this web site as it tells you what you might see each month not sure wether it would be any good for your part of the world .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/m...ingnotes.shtml

Palms

p.s. going to set my alarm to have a look for Mcnaught just in case we are still able to see it tonight
Old 01-14-2007, 08:21 AM

Palms, I can't ever get anyone to sit outside with me during meteor showers either -- and a couple of the best are during warm months here!

I looked for the comet last night -- the clouds started to clear at the horizon just before sunset, but I wasn't in a good location, and the last likely date to see it was supposedly yesterday. Didn't see anything that looked likely.

Hope all you southern-hemispherers get a good view, and I guess I'll look at other people's photos.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:39 PM

Re: Comet alert - photographed in Australia

On January 26, people from Perth, Australia gathered on a local beach to watch a sky light up with delights near and far. Nearby, fireworks exploded as part of Australia Day celebrations. On the far right, lightning from a thunderstorm flashed in the distance. Near the image center, though, seen through clouds, was the most unusual sight of all: Comet McNaught. The photogenic comet was so bright that it even remained visible though the din of Earthly flashes. Comet McNaught continues to move out from the Sun and dim, but should remain visible in southern skies with binoculars through the end of this month. The above image is actually a three photograph panorama digitally processed to reduce red reflections from the exploding firework.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070205.html
Old 03-30-2007, 11:17 PM

Hello CJ, long time no hear here's a McNaught for you, taken by me with my very own camera during the comet's visit:

http://bigal-sa.smugmug.com/photos/124714388-L.jpg
Old 03-31-2007, 10:37 AM

Al !!!

That is such a wonderful image! Great shot!! Having the cityscape below is a great addition -- the comet is as bright as most of the lights.

I am so jealous!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz
Al !!!

That is such a wonderful image! Great shot!! Having the cityscape below is a great addition -- the comet is as bright as most of the lights.

I am so jealous!!!
Thanks CJ, was almost a miss with the overcast weather we had at the time. The folks in Cape Town got some really stunning shots with a really huge tail with the ocean and the mountains as a backdrop.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
Thanks CJ, was almost a miss with the overcast weather we had at the time. The folks in Cape Town got some really stunning shots with a really huge tail with the ocean and the mountains as a backdrop.
So glad that the clouds broke enough for your photo. When comet Hale Bopp appeared, I was able to photograph it, but all I got was a blip with a tail in the dark sky -- I didn't find a location that would include a good background for it. So I'm very impressed with yours, and would be impressed with the ones from Cape Town also.