RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Is it really "art"?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:51 AM

Re: Is it really "art"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
I marvel at the artistic talent of someone like Bert Monroy

He starts with a blank (computer) canvas and creates such marvelous art. His attention to detail, perspective, light and shadows is just amazing. His electronic paintings are so detailed and accurate they look like photographs.
Bert's work is definitely spectacular. I'm amazed at what he's able to produce.

-----------------------

So you think you know art, huh? Take this quiz to find out:

http://www.modestypanel.com/artorcrap/#
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I marvel at the artistic talent of someone like Bert Monroy

He starts with a blank (computer) canvas and creates such marvelous art. His attention to detail, perspective, light and shadows is just amazing. His electronic paintings are so detailed and accurate they look like photographs.
Because the work looks like a photograph there are those who say, "that's not art" I can take a snapshot with a camera and get the same thing!?????

I always go back to the "eye of the beholder" way of looking at art. If I don't like it that's no sign that it's not art. I heard someone say one time that the little brass plate under the painting is how a great many people judge art. If it says Monet, or Van Gogh, or Matisse, then it has to be great art. Change the plate on a Seurat, for instance, and some would say that all those dots detract from the painting.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Bert's work is definitely spectacular. I'm amazed at what he's able to produce.

-----------------------

So you think you know art, huh? Take this quiz to find out:

http://www.modestypanel.com/artorcrap/#
Tried the quiz 10 out of 16 so not bad coming from someone who dosent know much about "proper" art, and majority of what i do know i learnt from being here !!!!!

Palms

and p.s. none of them would get cupboard room in my house

Last edited by palms; 03-12-2007 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added to
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2007, 01:29 PM

This might be slightly O.T, but I just came back from a 3 day trip to some nice places to shoot photos. First I went to an Egyptian art exhibit on tour from the British museum. I was stopped dead in my tracks at the door because I had a camera. "No photos allowed." I have taken many a photo in the British Museum itself, but can't take any of their pieces at this museum. In the past I have taken photos of a Lautrec poster exhibit at the very same museum. I will normally ask before I shoot, and usually will be allowed to shoot if no flash is used. I didn't even get a chance to ask in this case.

I have also shot pictures in The museum of Modern Art in NY, the Museum of Natural History in NY, the Louvre in Paris, The Lautrec museum in Albi, France, the National Museum of Art in DC, The Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota, FL, and many others.

A while later I was shooting in a shopping mall in the same city and a security guard informed me that I was to stop what I was doing and that there was no photography allowed in the mall. I am not going to bore you with the names of the malls I have taken photos in, in the past. But a short time later a celebrity was in this same mall signing autographs and there were people shooting pics everywhere. And B.T.W. there were no signs regarding cameras anywhere. In another mall that I visited later in the day, there was a sign on the entrance doors, "no cameras allowed." So guess we photographers will become like endangered animals, pushed out of all our shooting areas till none are left.

Could be part of the new heightened security everywhere, but at least they could put up a sign.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2007, 01:43 PM

Steve

I have not had that experience as of yet, but have heard many story's just like yours. Most of the time the reference is back to 9-11 and all of the laws passed to "protect" us since then. Sometimes these folks will try to take your camera away from you. It seems to be a growing problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2007, 02:13 PM

Oy!! I know some museums do allow cameras, others don't, but shopping malls? What do they do about all the cell phones with camers? :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2007, 02:47 PM

I think it will be some time before "arts and crafts" type places will take digital work. I have shown lenticular holographs in an art gallery myself - that's basically digital art with a plastic lens on it that adds an effect of depth. There were no brush strokes lol. I do many types of art myself - some digital - some not. I think anyone who has embroidered a piece of clothing AND composed a piece of real digital art (the kind that takes hours and hours lol) will admit that the pain, suffering, frustration, and time consumption are comparable. I think there's a sense that one could easily "back up" and take back a mistake on the computer... As though being able to take back a mistake makes the work less artistic or difficult.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Oy!! I know some museums do allow cameras, others don't, but shopping malls? What do they do about all the cell phones with camers? :-)
That's exactly what I was asking myself.

I think they are going to have a bit of a time policing all the cell phone cameras. Maybe that will be the next thing they prohibit.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Steve

I have not had that experience as of yet, but have heard many story's just like yours. Most of the time the reference is back to 9-11 and all of the laws passed to "protect" us since then. Sometimes these folks will try to take your camera away from you. It seems to be a growing problem.
Indeed it does. I felt like a Peeping Tom and all I was doing was taking a few pics in the mall for personal use. I know full well the laws restricting use of photos without written permission etc. and the consequences thereof. And that was not my purpose. Also it's not an easy job hiding a Nikon D-50 with a 200mm lens, so it was in plain view.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon