RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Is it really "art"?

Old 03-08-2007, 06:34 PM

Is it really "art"?

I see amazing works of art by you folks here in the RTP forums. Some of it truly worthy of giclee printing and framing. I'm talking nice stuff that I would be proud to have hanging on my walls.

But....

Is digital "art" yet accepted by the artistic community? Is it still in it's infancy and at the place where perhaps photography was 150 years ago visa vis "an art form"?

I bring this up, because we have an arts and crafts cooperative here in town where folks join and pay an annual fee to maintain and staff the facility and pay down the mortgage. Artisans can place their pieces there for sale to the public an pay the co-op a small commission when the goods are sold. Wonderful concept and very popular among our many retiree artists. Everything from fine art, wood crafts, quilts, etc. are available. But, the co-op does not accept "computer" art for consignment. No brush strokes... no deal.

I know it is a matter of time and education, but sometimes it is frustrating. I have done a couple pieces on commission. (Friend wanted a portrait of their horses that were killed in a tragic accident for example) They are pleased with the work I did, but I can't convince the "powers" at the co-op that there is a market for my work. They have seen my portfolio, but phoo-phoo the whole idea of "computer art".

Thanks for letting me vent...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Patron

Re: Is it really "art"?

Do these people consider photography, lithos, prints as 'art'? I wonder... Do they have a problem with modern art in general? Are fluffy coathangers and tea cozies art?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2007, 11:29 PM

dee dee,

i understand.

this is fairly common with something 'new', and maybe more so in the art world. i am a bit surprised that those folks flat out refused, especially on consignment. they risk nothing by allowing it when it's consignment. just wait till they pass up something that ends up selling for $100,000 and they'll start thinking differently
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2007, 07:47 AM

Littlecoo... I got a laugh out of your tea cozies and clothes hangers! Yeah, they like those.

Craig, In a way I do understand. The co-op is dominated by traditional artists who, perhaps, feel somewhat threatened by technology. And they probably perceive computer art as being "touch of a button" easy. What they don't get is that computer art is another medium. You still have to select the correct brushes, mix and use pleasing and effective colors, build texture and compose the product. My brush is a Wacom pen, my paint is pixels. Perhaps in time they will accept.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2007, 11:46 PM

yes, i think threatened is the key word there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2007, 07:25 AM

i agree with u when you say people think computer art is "touch of a button easy" very big misconception...they think i scan a pic....hit the "easy button" and POOF there's the new pic....so not true lol....ur little co-op thing doesn't even affect me personally but it's making me kinda mad thinkin' about it lol. i guess in time they will accept it...or maybe u just need to get some digital art enthusiasts or even just some open-minded people on that board! good luck with it all!
ashley

"ART" i think the definition is anything that u see or imagine....u put it together whether it be painting, photography, or whatever else so other people can share in your vision too. Something you create....and even if it was digitally...it's still ur creation!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Janitor

I doubt they are actually thinking computers make your art, or that computer art is lesser than other arts. However, scarcity drives market value, so what marketable value is there in something that is endlessly and perfectly replicatable?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
so what marketable value is there in something that is endlessly and perfectly replicatable?
In which case, why are so many prints of famous works sold. In total they usually gross more than the value of the original many times over.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2007, 05:31 PM

>>>>>> does not accept "computer" art for consignment

What about printed material that no longer looks like "a photograph"? Do they mean photographs? What about Photo Art?

What's an example of the work that doesn't qualify?

Bring your work to Gainesville.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2007, 06:15 PM

The "art" bunch here in my community does not accept photography as an art form, I am sure if you asked them about any thing done on a computer they would just look blankly at you and ask what are you talking about....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon