RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

HD photo fromat

Old 03-24-2007, 05:08 PM

HD photo fromat

I thought I throw this up. Probably everyone else already know what it is smile.... anyway but i didn't know...

When I recv a update on one of my programs they added new graphic filter a *.hdp ... got me thinking what this is ...

the info I found,
a. M$ developed the format, and it license is free... so that may make it popular.... for various software programer and hardware ..to use it. smile
b. that it was called photon but formely called windows media photo (*.wdp) but now called HD photo (*.hdp)
c. supposidly twice as good in quality as jpg and compression and quality similar to jpeg 2000....
d. it appears also that various camera manufacturers are starting to use this format... according to one of my updates...
This is a couple of the links I found on it....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Photo
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...rpros/wmphoto/

this is a review of hd photo and the review mentions photoshop and plugin.
http://news.com.com/Photoshop+gets+H...3-6165425.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2007, 12:31 AM

Re: HD photo fromat

honestly, I don't get it. I have made HD Slideshows for people and photos taken with a 3 MP camera - look fabulous! SD TV is 640x480 pixels - very low quality image - however, 1080i looks amazing!

I hate most of microsofts proprietary formats - especially the Zune not even supporting Windows Plays4Shure technology

This may be something that can be improved on - but like sony, most proprietary formats fail (ie minidisk and UMD)

Just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2007, 10:15 AM

hi,
myself i wish the HDP format was open source and not owned by M$, it would stand a better chance of being a universal format. plus I don't trust M$ that much because of there past history.. even though it a free license, I cansee them making 2 versions one that free and one that isn't and/or a version that has certain proprietary abilites... the whole purpose for them is to support market share in the other softwre.. oh well

And Sony they have a bad track record on anything they back support. smile.. going back to the old beta tapes, dvd+r format, even the blue ray disk may not be the stadard... that sony wants.. smile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cducasse
honestly, I don't get it. I have made HD Slideshows for people and photos taken with a 3 MP camera - look fabulous! SD TV is 640x480 pixels - very low quality image - however, 1080i looks amazing!

I hate most of microsofts proprietary formats - especially the Zune not even supporting Windows Plays4Shure technology

This may be something that can be improved on - but like sony, most proprietary formats fail (ie minidisk and UMD)

Just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2007, 04:16 AM

I have had a brief scan through the links posted but can anyone tell me what the HD stands for the first thing that comes to mind is High Definition as in the new TV/video standards is this anything to do with this or is it microsoft trying to take over the JPEG ?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon