RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Resently Retired

Old 04-13-2007, 02:08 PM

Resently Retired

Hi...
Just retired and building my in-home studio. Right now, its just walls
and floor. I've been trying to find some sites on the web that show
studios of varios artist, but all I've been able to Google is the web
sites of the artists work and not of their studio layouts. Anybody got
any ideas as to how I could more define my search or know of any samples
of artist-painters-digital artists in-home studios? Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2007, 04:41 AM

Re: Resently Retired

Should that be 'recently retired'

I think the reason you're struggling in your search is that the workspace for digital artists really isnt important. Even with traditional artists layout is purely personal preferance. Just think about what YOU NEED to create your work.

For me, my workspace is a small room just big enough for a computer table and a chair. My equipment is just my PC, mouse and keyboard. On my desk right now is hair gel, moisteriser, my contraceptive pills and vitamins, a pad (no pen...oops) 2 old hard drives, hair scissors and empty water jug, 2 bottles of thermal compound cleaner, a makeup brush used for cleaning my heatsink, 'titania's fortune cards' ( minus the cards), 2 credit cards, a pile of CDs and deoderant.... as you can tell, I live at my desk.

When I worked with good old fashion acrylic on canvas or watercolor on paper, all I needed was a suitable surface (flat for water color or my canvas for acrylic) and a good view of my subject.

What you put in your studio and how you lay it out should be determined by what you need to create what you want to create. If you're purely digital, all you really need is a computer, a desk and a chair and enough space to put them in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2007, 08:29 AM

One thing I've noticed is that the more neutral in color the room is, the easier it is to get your graphics the way you want them. A good calibrated monitor is another must for me as well. Other than that, what Nancy says. My desk is a hodge podge of junk and usually a cat or two between my keyboard and the monitor.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2007, 09:59 AM

Try WetCanvas.com -- I did a search there and found one or more threads discussing studio setups including drawings of a person's studio layout.
http://
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=studio+layout

Discussion of lighting for indoor studio without windows --
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44915

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 04-14-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2007, 10:59 AM

hi,
I agree with previous replies it going to be very hard to find anyting like that. A place that will tell you how... Because it such personal but yet needs to be practical... now to help in your search.... use words/phrases like ORGANIZING COMPUTER ROOM or COMPUTER WORKSTATION or COMPUTER ARTIST STUDIO or computer workroom ... now your probably using just a general search engine procedures BUT don't overlook using a image search engine!!!! every good search engine will also have a special image search engine....that just find pictures!!!! and you will get a lot more relevent hits... I was able to find a lot more relevent hits using the image search than I did with just the general web search

!!!! and don't restrict yourself to google.... smile.. use the others like yahoo or altavista.. and others... google not my favorite...

that being said.... to me there some baiscs....
a. the desk.. always like plenty of desk area!! you always need that extra space on the desk to layout your projects and/or devices.... also like plenty of leg room and room to move the chair about..!! you can go for the expensive wrap around croner desk types ones or something inexpensive like a long picnick/card table.. smile....
note: a friend of mine bought a nice 4000$ computer desk setup and they hated it... no deskspace area to speak of and very restrictive moving around..!
b. windows... always have the light behind the computer... you don't want glare
c. a nice comfortable roller chair...!!! those executive type chairs never like those... great for leaning back in but long hours on the computer.. no....

anyway those are my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws2434 View Post
Hi...
Just retired and building my in-home studio. Right now, its just walls
and floor. I've been trying to find some sites on the web that show
studios of varios artist, but all I've been able to Google is the web
sites of the artists work and not of their studio layouts. Anybody got
any ideas as to how I could more define my search or know of any samples
of artist-painters-digital artists in-home studios? Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2007, 07:42 AM

Recently... Well, duh! Never won a spelling bee.
My art, recently , has been strictly computer based. I am a watercolorist at heart, but have not picked up a brush in a few years. I will be painting as well as computerizing. I will also be doing some small product photography. Up until now, I've had to make my studio space in shared areas.

We'll be moving to our vacation home permantly ( in Ellijay Georgia) in a few months and have specifically set aside a room/studio for me and a room /office for my wife. Having my own space with a view that overlooks a beautiful river with rushing water is very exciting. That's why I want everything to be right. Thanks for the response.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2007, 07:46 AM

Thanks CJ for the wet canvas link... I'll check it out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2007, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the response. You guys have been very informative. I have been so involved in the "Go to work-Come home-Go to work" scene for so long, it's going to be quite an adjustment. I have a web site that gives a pretty good overview of my work. I'd be grareful for cretiques for the group.
http://riverrockstudios.net/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon