RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

True or false

View Poll Results: If sufficiently motivated to reach a goal, you will succeed
True 19 79.17%
False 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Janitor

True or false

I'm curious about how people perceive motivation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2007, 01:37 PM

Re: True or false

I haven't voted, as I don't think it's a yes/no question.

If the goal is achievable, then certainly with sufficient motivation you should be able to achieve it.

However there are any number of goals that are simply not achievable no matter how well motivated you may be. (Swimming the Atlantic Ocean non stop and without backup comes to mind).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2007, 08:53 PM

Talking Re: True or false

A great question......... HOWEVER ... If you don't try, you are guaranteed
to fail......... Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2007, 10:01 PM

sufficient motivation, leads to pressure, leads to achieving "A" goal, but not necessarily the one you set out to achieve.....therefore, i selected false.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2007, 10:19 PM

I'm with Gary as far as this not being a yes or no question.

I do believe that any goal, whether achieved or not, leads one on a journey of discovery and learning. The paths alone can be valuable experiences. One is certainly not the same at the end of the journey as he or she was at the beginning. Whether that is for good or for ill is up the the person individually.

That is not to say the rewards of achieving a goal aren't worthwhile or the disappointments great if the goal isn't met. But the processes along the way are just as rewarding sometimes as the goal itself.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 AM

I like how it is said by everyone that if the goal is achievable first. Also if you set the goal to what is perceived as being just out of reach, then the finish line is much sweeter. The goal itself should be enough motivation but sometimes an added reward when you achieve the goal might aid as an added incentive to continue to be motivated, and not lose interest or give up. I guess I'm saying that 'motivation' toward achieving a goal is the same as how much desire is possessed to make it happen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson View Post
... I don't think it's a yes/no question.

If the goal is achievable, then certainly with sufficient motivation you should be able to achieve it.

However there are any number of goals that are simply not achievable no matter how well motivated you may be. (Swimming the Atlantic Ocean non stop and without backup comes to mind).
I do agree with Gary except that the definition of "achievable" is often extended by those individuals who believe in trying to reach goals that "most people" believe are not possible. Cures for many diseases, space travel, instant communication between continents -- so many discoveries/inventions were "impossible" until someone made them possible. I'm hoping there are lots of kids around the world with "impossible dreams" who will work towards their goal no matter how many of us tell them they are wasting their time because the goal is not achievable. Hopefully, some of them will discover new worlds, create new medical cures, new inventions that will benefit humanity. Many will not reach their goal but will enjoy the benefits of their "journey of discovery" as Janet reminds us. Sadly, some will likely feel like failures, but may have inspired others to take a similar path that might lead to the goal eventually. There might be someone who could invent a device to help a human swim the ocean someday, and there's probably someone just crazy enough to try it... one of Gary's descendants, most likely.

I do believe that most goals that most people think about only require hard work, sacrifice of time and effort, and are achievable; therefore, if they are sufficiently motivated, they will succeed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
I'm curious about how people perceive motivation.
Some times is not really up to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2007, 03:07 AM

Couldn't agree more with CJ about what is "achievable" and the way that the baseline to that is constantly changing.

Point I was trying to make was that there may be some things that are just not achievable, and highly unlikely to ever be so (even for my descendants), no matter how well motivated.

So does that mean you should not strive to achieve things that are beyond your reach, most definitely not. But you shouldn't be blind to your chances of success either.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon