RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Camp vs. Wit/Kitsch vs. Charm

Old 06-15-2007, 09:24 AM

Re: Camp vs. Wit/Kitsch vs. Charm

I love Red Dwarf. It was a great show. One of my favorites. But, it would never have worked if it were remade for the U.S. market. It would get so watered down into stupid camp that its cleverness and appeal would be lost.

However, another show that's been an absolute success in the conversion to the U.S. market is "The Office." I used to watch the original British show on BBC America. It was fantastic!

I also love the American version. I wasn't sure I would, at first. In the beginning some of the plot lines were the same, but the humor was different. But, the show grew on me and I like it just as much as the British show, but in different ways. The British "Office" humor was much more dry, cerebral, and gradually paced, while the American version's humor is a bit more "uncontrolled," fast paced, and a bit more "physical" or "active" somehow (but not slapstick). But at the same time, still manages to keep a lot of the dry humor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2007, 09:32 AM

I spotted this contestant on a Britain's Got Talent clip on YouTube, and was blown away! (As were the judges). Take a minute and watch this "lump of coal turn into a diamond".

Paul Potts Sings Nessun Dorma

Last edited by Swampy; 06-15-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
. . . Take a minute and watch this "lump of coal turn into a diamond". . . .[/URL]
Thanks for the link, Swampy. Blew me away too, and brought tears to my eyes.

<C>
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Janitor

Paul impressed me, but I found out he's no "lump of coal", he's a working opera pro with his own wikipedia entry.

But THIS one brought a tear to my jaded eye:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CBj1R5FlaI
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2007, 05:37 PM

I read his Wicki entry...

>>Paul has appeared on national and local television and radio. His claim to fame is his 1999 appearance on Michael Barrymore's My Kind of Music. He has spent two summers touring Northern Italy training with one of the major opera schools, training under top teachers Mario Melani and Svetlana Sidrova, and has taken part in master classes with Vilma Vernocchi, Katia Ricciarelli and Luciano Pavarotti.

>>For the Bath UK based amateur company Bath Opera, he has performed the roles of Don Basilio (Marriage of Figaro), Don Ottavio (Don Giovanni) and the title role in Verdi's Don Carlos, and Turandot as Prince of Persia and Herald.

But I don't see anything "professional" in his resume. Michael Barrymore's "My Kind of Music" is a game show, nothing wrong with training with the likes of Pavarotti, and his appearances in the named opera were with an "amateur company". Don't know how you get "pro" out of that.

Regardless, he has made it to the finals (Sunday night) and will sing before Queen Elizabeth. Well deserved I think.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2007, 09:51 PM

Here! Here! Swampy ...

Anyone that can bring a tear to my old eye is deserving of nothing but applause.

Stosh
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2007, 10:28 PM

i have an excellent ear, particularly for voice. i was blown away by paul. i listened to this one over and over. i set it on full screen view. i plugged in my expensive earphones and i adjusted my graphic equalizer several times over several viewings. simply amazing.

and whoever edited this for yourtube did a good job. it was almost as fascinating watching the reaction to paul as it was to listening to him. you could see simon in surprised mode, which he almost never is and you could watch amanda fall in love in the space of 10 seconds. really quite amazing.

and the 6 year old was fascinating as well. certainly not as polished as paul, but for 6 years old.... my word!

and just to keep this on topic, i think the difference between british humor and american, at least as far as television, is that american tries to overwhelm you, slap you in the face and goes for the lowest common denominator. brit humor is simply there. it lets you come to it rather than trying to shove it down your throat and i just find this much more appealing.

now, i dont know what 'kitsch' means, but if it's what i just said, then i'll take 'charm' any day of the week
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2007, 03:50 AM

Quote:
brit humor is simply there. it lets you come to it rather than trying to shove it down your throat and i just find this much more appealing.
Beware perfidious Albion.

We kind of sneak up on you unawares. Just look at what you lost by breaking away from us and going for independance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2007, 06:58 AM
Janitor

I must offer a heartfelt and sincere apology to any and all of my fellow Americans. I've been watching a (hilarious) British series via youtube called Charlie Brookers Screenwipe. Although he might agree with my basic premise (his opinion is that that America likes weird and over-the-top TV while Britain prefers it more "real"), he's also pointed out how naive and ignorant I am concerning how absolutely awful British television can be. Some of the examples he offers are staggering in their horribleness, and more than offset some of the brilliant stuff that makes it over the pond.

I especially enjoyed the episode where he comes to Hollywood and casts his cynical eye on American television (we don't actually come off that badly, at least not after you've seen him savage British television).

So basically, taken as a whole TV is bad everywhere, with occasional very rare peaks of quality. But you already knew that.

I won't link to any of his clips because they're not for the easily offended (and the visitor comments are even worse). But a quick youtube search will offer them up if you're interested.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon