Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Decor Hideousness of Decades Past

Old 07-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Decor Hideousness of Decades Past

While discussing Carole's "Purple Mom" in Restoration forum Carole and I briefly compared notes on the pure hideousness of some of the "in" decorating ideas in the 1950's. The awfulness isn't limited to the 50's - every decade has it's own signature yuck. Remember avacado green and harvest gold? I read somewhere that shag carpeting was very "in" again. Spare me

In a post in that topic I described the most hideous wallpaper I'd ever clapped eyes upon. It was in my living room. This snapshot was taken at Christmas 1950 so it sort of overlaps the decades. The baby is me. To give you an idea of the awfulness of it all I did a small bit of coloring. The color scheme was (wait for this) maroon and gray with pink and green accents. It's a wonder I was scarred for life!

I'm thinking of a kind of show and tell here. I've showed you mine now you show me yours. Got any really inspired decor in the background of your family snapshots? I'd love to see it!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wallpaper.jpg (76.9 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Re: Decor Hideousness of Decades Past

MJ, What goes around comes around, I guess. I did the avacado and harvest gold back in the 60's and loved it at the time. Even did the turquoise and blacks of the 50's -60's. Lava lamps, beaded curtains, shag rugs, faux modern, formica tables, t.v. trays ...all that stuff was both cheap and popular.

I guess we all look back on it now and say "yuck", but I'm sure decorators are dating the current times in the same way with stainless steel, granite, wood floors and berber carpet (all of which I hate or are impractacal for my life style).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon