RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

9/11 and the media

Old 03-12-2002, 01:45 AM

BigAl,

For at least the past week (until yesterday), the situation in Zimbabwe was making it into the "other top news" headline listing on the CNN homepage. As of yesterday, I had to go to the "World" section to get info. Today the news in Zimbabwe was pushed off of the "other top news" list by such worthy reports as David Letterman (late-night talk show host) resigning with CBS.

I don't watch TV news when I'm home, so I don't know how prevalent Zimbabwe is on the nightly newscasts, but in Asia a couple of weeks ago, CNN was covering Zimbabwe 24 hours a day it seemed.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 12:53 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Greg,

I hope you didn't think I was ignoring you. I've pretty much been away for a couple of days. No, I would never zap a thread just because it might have *potential* for bad vibes. And if things should ever get too heated (to the point of people insulting one another), I would simply zap the responses that deserved to be zapped. This group has been *great* about getting along with each other. In fact, the people here have been the best of any group I've ever been on.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 03:48 PM

I’d like to respond to all the questions raised and the comments that were made relative to the 9/11, etc. Since I am at work right now, I will only touch on some of the things mentioned.

I do not see any problem with discussions of this type, as long they are just that, discussions. This could be very interesting and informative if we avoid personalities and respect all points of view.

I’ve mentioned before that I enjoy history. It is always interesting to evaluate current events in the light of history. I am currently concentrating on the American Revolution and the Founding Fathers, including how our government evolved in the early 1800’s. Many of the issues are similar today, but there was a greater sense of purpose back then.

I live in NYC and the 9/11 tragedy is very real and up close. A neighborhood that I frequented often is gone. People and business that I know were hurt by it. Yet, I agree that there is a certain element of over-kill in the media. However, I’ve been very critical of the media and their news coverage for years. 9/11 should never be forgotten, but it should not be in our face all day long.

A recent article in the NY Times discussed other NYC tragedies, some of which I had never heard of. One was a ferry the sunk in the East River in the 1920’s with over 1500 picnickers drowned. Adjusted for the population, it was a greater percentage of loss of life. The gist of the article was that people move on and several generations later it is often forgotten.

I think that 9/11 should fall be compared with Pearl Harbor, the Holocaust, etc. They should always be remembered for further generations to know.

Isolationism has been a major flaw in the United State’s foreign policy far too often. We would probably have lost WW2 if Roosevelt had not got around congress with the lend lease program. Congress would never agree to sell them supplies, so it was called a leasing program. As it was, it was almost too late.

Most of our international problems since the end of WW2 are the result of varying degrees of isolationism. The Middle East mess is related to the peace at the end of WW1. There is a good book on this called, “The Peace to End All Peace”, which deals with the breakup of the Ottoman Empire and the division of the Mid-East lands by the Allies. These two subjects requires considerably more detail that I can go into right now. However, most of the Asian conflicts after WW2 are related to our isolationism.

I’m almost finished with a book about the constitutional convention of 1787. It is very enlightening. All the issues of North-South, large state-small state, national-state’s rights, liberal-conservative, etc. were in play. It is remarkable that there was enough compromises to enable a Constitution to be written. There was a sense of purpose and the realization that one must be written for a sibling nation to survive. I do not see today’s politicians having the same sense of purpose. I suspect that many of them use the constitution to prove their points, but they probably do not have a real understanding of how it was written and what it actually stands for.

I would enjoy a thread that dealt with history, politics and social issues.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 04:38 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I hope I haven't given people the wrong impression with my post. Alan said:

"I do not see any problem with discussions of this type, as long they are just that, discussions. This could be very interesting and informative if we avoid personalities and respect all points of view. "

I certainly agree with every bit of that. But it has long been known that when discussions turn political, there is a strong chance for something more than friendly disagreement. That's why I try to stay out of that type of discussion. I do *not* however, think it is wrong for anyone to start any thread they like.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 05:03 PM

airubin - Great response! I would be interested to know what your take is on the recent 6-month memorials. Is it too soon for such things?

Your point about not allowing things to be forgotten is a good one. However, who passes this information on to future generations? In the past it may have been books, articles or even oral history. These days, especially with my generation, the primary means of communicating about the past is through television, Internet and movies. Pearl Harbor is a good example. There have been many good books on the subject and some excellent documentaries, but I wonder how many young people think they "know" Pearl Harbor just by watching the recent blockbuster film?

Ed - I agree! This is a great group and it helps to have fantastic moderators!

DJ - Sorry I did not respond to your post earlier. I could not agree more about the emphasis on the safety of our troops. I think there is a big debate raging among the military brass about just how to reorganize our military to better deal with 21st century threats. Personally, I like the emphasis on stealth, the use of drones and better protection for ground forces.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2002, 05:19 PM

C. Couch,

More on history later.

Normally. I would think that 6 months is too soon. However, they are still finding bodies and the effects of the tragedy is still evident every day. There is still discussion on how much money the families of the victims will receive. There is even comments whether the the amount should be reduced by one's insurance or retirement funds.

I do not object to the six month memorial as it seems to help the victim's families.

Alan
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon