Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Need loads of New York advice

Old 09-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Re: Need loads of New York advice

I'd suggest finding a room mate ...or two, to share the expenses. Roomies will try your patience at times, but you'll have a better shot at living in a better neighborhood, i.e. near your job or school. You could try looking at bulletin boards at F.I.T., or perhaps the school has online postings for students looking to share.

Brooklyn is a possibility. The Williamsburg area is where many artists and students have settled and it's just across the river from Manhattan.

New York City is the safest big city in the country. I've lived here since 1993 and can fortunately say that I've never been touched by crime. On the other hand, for the same length of time, I lived in Houston, Texas, where not only myself, but also friends and relatives were victimized time and time again. Most American cities are ghost-towns after nightfall. I'm not referring to automobile traffic, I mean people walking to and from restaurants, homes, work, movies, theaters, parks, etc. Neither myself nor any out-of-towner I've taken to see the sights, has ever been apprehensive about their surroundings. Even visitors from tiny towns who have never been to NYC before were amazed at how safe they felt after dark. I'm not saying not to use common sense, but common sense goes a lot farther in New York than most people realize.

...oh, just so you don't get the wrong idea, Central Park isn't the crime-ridden place it's depicted in Hollywood and on television. That stuff makes for great story-lines and interesting crime-drama, but the fall of darkness will hardly be your demise. ...after all, in December it's dark by 4:15 pm, and you'll see hundreds of regular folks jogging, walking, sitting, or just soaking in the scenery. Very few, if any, will ever become victims.

...and this bit of advice that I've was given years ago and that I've put to good use is this, while in New York (and any other place for that matter) never appear to be an out-of-towner. Always look as if you know what you're doing and where you're going. You should talk-the-talk as well, that means know the lingo. If you repeat your post out-loud it will be a dead give-away that you're not from New York. Say it as a New Yorker would say it, F.I.T. is in, Manhattan (the borough), not on Manhattan (the island).

I hope this helps a little. You'll do just fine, I did.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2007, 03:18 PM

JIM: Welcom to and many thanks for this nice post!

I'm struggling to get funding for freshman year right now, since the department of education doesn't support/approve the freshman year in the bachelor degree. Freshman year in USA is not within university standards in Norway, so therefor I need to look elsewhere for money! JEEZ! I was talking and planning with my fiancé the other day and she said that all our plans was too good to be true! So I'm looking for sponsorship deals! hehe...sending emails to various companies!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:04 AM

Good luck! I lived and worked in New York back in the 80's. It was great fun.

Look at Staten Island, cheaper to live there than the city!

We ended up in NJ.. Loved it!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2007, 05:11 PM

Jeff: Thanks! Nice tips! Will look into it! I got a extra job in Norway working nightshifts cleaning oilriggs for 80$ pr hour So maybe I can make it!!! MAAAYBEEE!!!!!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon