RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

I can't take any more of XP!!

Old 03-27-2002, 09:08 PM
Janitor

Gnome...it's ok...tried KDE but liked Gnome better...can't really say why. I can recommend Redhat.

I don't use the machine for anything productive, it's just an old box I put Linux on to familiarize myself with it. Most low-level things are just too darn hard, and it's not like I enjoy learning curves I was having fun until I tried to install Samba so I could put it on my Win network.

Linux is NOT for ppl that view computers as hammers It's more a lifestyle choice than an operating system.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2002, 09:59 PM

I'm not exactly into learning curves myself, but if it means I won't have to deal with Windows much more, then I'll do it almost without question.
lol, I like the hammer analogy . it's true that it's a different lifestyle, almost all the people I've met who use Linux are a LOT different than your average Windows user.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2002, 11:10 PM

Hi David!

Have you examined other possibilities behind some of your computer problems? I read back over a few of your posts and it just strikes me as really strange that reinstalling XP is not clearing up some of the stuff. What kind of processor / motherboard combination do you have?

When you mentioned programs locking up and crashing, it reminded of heat problems I have had in the past. I had a computer at work once, that seemed to crash like clockwork every 10 to 15 minutes. It took me a whole day to realize the fan had croaked and I guess the build up of heat was causing the system to crash. (I'm pretty embarrassed that it took me that long to realize such an obvious problem!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2002, 11:22 PM

Hi Greg,

I've been wondering if it's a hardware thing too. I have a Celeron 950 Mhz processor and an AOpen AX34 II Motherboard and the fan is working just fine.
I've checked through everything in the device manager and there's no problems there. the wierd part of all this is it crashes most frequently on the net (and its not because of viruses or bad programs - I'm careful and check thngs out all the time) but it hasn't been as bad as usual lately since I've reloaded, its mostly been other strange problems.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2002, 11:30 PM

You might want to check for a bios update, updated video drivers, etc... I doubt that is the problem, but it never hurts to cover all the possibilities.

Do you have anything "modified" You know, like a massively overclocked Geforce card? hehehe
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2002, 05:08 AM

David,
I also had a machine that was crashing all the time. I finally found the problem (after researching the error messages on the net) that it was a problem with the video card and network software. Since I couldn't run out and get a new video card, I reduced the "hardware acceleration" of the card, and it worked fine.

And, I also had another machine that had a problem with the video card overheating. Everthing would work fine for about an hour, and then all sorts of weird stuff would start happening. If left the cover off the machine, it worked fine. I replaced the video card and it was fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2002, 07:24 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Wow!! The number of problems you've had is astounding! I've had XP since early January, and it has proven to be the most stable envirnoment I've had so far. It only froze up once on a hard lock, and a few times when I was able to simply end the task of the program running at the time. This is the first time I've heard about problems of this magnitude. Hopefully you'll find the problem soon (and it's not Windows related.)

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2002, 07:42 AM
Janitor

For what it's worth, I've had every operating system imaginable crash on me. I've also got a machine running Win98 that I haven't rebooted since last year. The worst bout of crashes I've ever had were all on Macs, and the only time I've ever crashed so bad it took the hard-drive with it was with Linux.

But these are my own experiences, and computers are far too complicated and situations far too unique to draw any sort of sweeping conclusions.

I had an interesting conversation a couple of years ago with a salesman at a car leasing company. It turns out red cars crash the most, and white cars crash the least. So we should all drive white cars
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2002, 09:24 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I wish you'd have told me earlier. I bought a gray computer!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2002, 09:31 AM

< It turns out red cars crash the most, and white cars crash the least. >

I'm going right out to repaint my car!

David, I'm sure that there are things other than Windows XP causing your multitude of problems, and the other folks here have given some areas to check. I don't remember you mentioning how much memory your machine has - my cable connection will stop working sometimes when my memory resources get low (like when I'm running PShop, PageMaker, Word, AND downloading graphics from the web). I can be on the web, and then the pages stop loading.

Just one more area to consider.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon