RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

I can't take any more of XP!!

Old 03-29-2002, 01:29 AM

David, I've got a Linux Web server at work (running RH6) which hasn't crashed at all. It's been running for the better part of three years and what's more, it's a 100MHz P1 with 32 MB memory and a 6.1GB IDE hard disk. It gets somewhere in the region of 5000 -10000 requests per day when my students are active on it. You don't need Big Hardware!

Doug, I've found problems with Gnome's scroll bar, so I prefer KDE, but I agree with you, you can't use Linux like a hammer.

As I've said on another thread, I hate any NT derivatives, so I'll stick with Win95 and Win98SE. I'm even thinking of going back to Office 95 because of stability issues!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2002, 05:08 PM

I had XP pre installed with my new computer and I tried for a month to get used to it and just wasn't happy with all the extra glitzy stuff. I only use my machine for Photoshop/viewing and email so needed it pared down. It made the machine run so much slower than my old one that had much less ram. I didn't need all the extras so a friend wiped out the xp system (wasn't easy) and did a clean install of 98se and I have been so much happier. My machine just flys now, never a slow down even on huge files. Just my two cents
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Janitor

I believe XP has an option to turn off all that 'glitzy stuff' and look just like Win98.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2002, 01:25 AM

It does, I just didn't want to have to use their picture viewer/cd burner program others that come with xp and I researched some and was under the impression that things wouldn't run as smooth if I uninstalled these pre existing programs. I like it better for me without them as I had my favorite programs already.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2002, 11:48 AM

you're right Jill, if you remove the preinstalled MS programs it can really mess things up. if you don't like to use those programs (neither do I) just delete the shortcuts, ignore the programs, and change the file types so they'll open with your own programs.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2002, 03:46 PM

hi again,

I finally got Linux installed last night (SuSE 7.2). it went just fine, except for a small problem when partitioning, the dual boot with XP worked great and I love Linux!!! everything is working fine in it, I can even read most of my windows files, except that I found out that my modem (even though it's not a WinModem) doesn't have any Linux driver, and Aopen doesn't plan to make any (I'm writing this in XP).

- David

Last edited by d_kendal; 03-31-2002 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2002, 03:23 AM

I've had XP Pro running 24/7 since November without a single problem. (Rebooted once to install the security patch)
While I agree that XP has some undesirable quirks, every one of them can be shut down. I used to crash 98SE constantly by running out of resources but now I can run a dozen programs without a slow down.
Apparently XP's sweet spot for RAM is 512mb. Turn off the eye candy and it flies...

PIII 933, 512mb SDRAM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2002, 11:37 PM

I'm really amazed how smoothly everything is going in Linux. I found out that my modem is a WinModem (not a "real" modem - winmodems need Windows software/hardware to run, people are working on Linux drivers but there wans't any for my model) so I went out and got a cheap external modem, which is only 33.6kbps but I haven't noticed a major speed change from using my 56k internal modem in Windows. I have yet to actually have to restart my computer (even after installing the operating system) and it's fast. KDE is great, and I couldn't be happier with Linux. I took a screenshot of my desktop in GIMP so you can see what it's like.

- David
P.S. this is the first post I've actually made using Linux. woohooo!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my_kde_desktop.jpg (99.2 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2002, 09:35 AM

David,

Ver-r-r-r-y Coool looking desktop! The "multimedia system" window looks hi-tech. Lots of windows open all at the same time and still not crashing - very good.

And best of all -- an adorable penguin! I Love penguins!

I'm extremely impressed with those of you (David - so far, so good; Doug, BigAl, and Dolby who can keep their machines running without having to reboot for months or longer. With Win95, I HAD to reboot daily just to restore my resources, and Win98 seems to need a reboot every few days (or less, if my cable connection goes away).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2002, 09:39 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Wow!! I could get lost on there for days on end.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon