RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

I can't take any more of XP!!

Old 04-04-2002, 08:44 PM

CJ - thanks! my Dad is running Windows 98 and he's lucky if he can get through half a day without it crashing or locking up on him.

Ed - lol, yep there's a LOT in there. when I was installing I had the choice to choose which programs to install or just install everything, so I chose to get it all, which turned out to be 740 full programs!!! it'd take me months to even try each one out.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2002, 02:01 AM

as one of the downsides of Linux, I said that you can't run Photoshop in it, which makes it pretty much impossible for any serious photo retoucher to use Linux. however, I've been using something called WINE (stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator, but it's a windows emulator) lately to run programs I haven't been able to find a Linux program equivilent of, and there's a site called the Wine application database that lists Windows programs and if they work or not under Wine, and when I searched out Photoshop, I found out that some people have figured out how to run it in Linux!! I found that pretty interesting, because if people have already got it working, then from there it can only get easier to get photoshop and other major programs working under Linux, which would be great since then there would be another viable choice of operating system besides Windows and Mac.

- David

P.S. you can see a screen shot of it here
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2002, 06:32 AM

I have had Windows XP Pro for a while now and have so far found it to be the most stable of all the Windows family (NT excluded) - One point of note David, XP comes with its own built in firewall, making the need to run an external program redundant or at worst unstable?!?

The firewall can be accessed through the 'network connections' icon in the control panel. Right click the connection and choose advanced
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2002, 06:47 AM

Thanks a bunch David.......since your original Linux post and especially after your screenshot, I had to take a look.
I've been dual booting XP and MDK 8.2 for a while now and I'm absolutely hooked on Linux.
I've been trying to get PS6 to work under Wine but so far, no joy.
I have XP on NTFS so it's making it even more difficult to get it running......have to keep copying dll's and rebooting as NTFS support is a little buggy in MDK. Apparently Wine 1.0 shouldn't be too far away.......

Gnome works perfectly for me but I spend most of the time in Fluxbox.........lightning fast.

Phil
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2002, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Needham
I have had Windows XP Pro for a while now and have so far found it to be the most stable of all the Windows family (NT excluded) - One point of note David, XP comes with its own built in firewall, making the need to run an external program redundant or at worst unstable?!?
I also find WinXP very stable (since I reloaded it, anyway).
I do know about the built in firewall, but I would NEVER trust a firewall made by microsoft. I don't use the built in one, I use Tiny personal firewall, because then I actually have control over what accesses the internet, and what comes into my computer.

Dolby - I'm also hooked on Mandrake 8.2. try reading here, it might help you get PS 6 working. when I reloaded Windows (I backed up everything, deleted everything on the hard drive and did a clean start) I changed to FAT 32 when I partitioned, so now I can read and write to my Windows drives without any problems. I've mostly used KDE and Gnome, I haven't tried the others out, but I'll have to try fluxbox now. I can't wait for WINE 1.0, it's going to be great!!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2002, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the link David, I'll have another go at it.
I'm staying with NTFS for now as I have to much stuff running on my Apache server to make me want to back-up/reformat.
Fluxbox doesn't install by default but it's on your CD's...it's quite similar to Windowmaker but with a few nicer touches.

Phil
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2002, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dolby
Fluxbox doesn't install by default but it's on your CD's...it's quite similar to Windowmaker but with a few nicer touches.

Phil
thanks phil, I would've been searching for it in vain since it's not automatically installed. It's amazing how fast Mandrake keeps coming out with new stuff, I just saw on the forums there that there's a new Cooker out.

- David
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon