Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Newbie :)

Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Newbie :)

Hello all! I am a professional photographer looking to enhance my photo editing skills, and have already found very talented photo editors and a wealth of information here! I just wanted to stop in a say "hello!"

The photography business has been kind of slow this year, so I thought I'd try editing to help make ends meet. It doesn't hurt that I already love this stuff!

I would appreciate feedback on my few samples I have on my site, if anyone cares to take a look.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2007, 02:37 AM
Re: Newbie :)

comments on Kara site:
* Initial impression - attractive; very eye catching.
* You might slow down the home page slide show a bit... transitions too fast (IMO) to appreciate each row of 3 images. Yeah I know it repeats. Maybe add another 6-9 shots. 9 isn't enough IMO.
* Home page: Bride/groom on ground example - Whiten teeth a bit.
* Home page: Bride/groom on beach. A+... simply a great shot.
* Home page: blonde BW example. Nice photo in general, but not very flattering in terms of complexion, hot spots on face.
* Home page: Musicians - you've got better than these I hope, maybe in a club with existing lighting.
* Gallery: Consider a separate gallery for the little kids. Having pics of cute little girls all dressed up following semi-suggestive images of teens and hot looking young women is questionable.
* Gallery: I'd leave out the ones of the park scenes and "collections." You won't be hired for this type of work and quite frankly many of these shots come across as ones you took while learning to use your camera. If you want to include eye catching scenery shots, take a look at these for inspiration:
* I'm not sure I'd post a top end wedding shoots. Probably better to put something like: Weddings from $xxx -- Call for additional information.
* FAQ: Centered text is nice for poetry, not for this kind of thing. Left justify it. You might have someone proficient in English take a look at content/form. This looks a little amateurish.
* about: Not great English here either.
* re: Woodward Ramps and Rails, University of Notre Dame, Keough Institute of Irish Studies. Wrong order. Most important client first. In fact until I had more commercial clients, I'd leave Woodward Ramps and Rails off the list. Inclusion of this firm w/o any others screams "rookie," regardless of your actual experience. For the time being consider going with University of Notre Dame and Keough Institute of Irish Studies. These look impressive.

I'm not trying to hammer you here and I'm truly sorry if this comes across as harsh. You obviously put a lot of work into your site and are off to a good start. BUT as you know there's an enormous amount of competition and you only get one chance to make a first impression.

Hope this feedback is useful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Re: Newbie :)

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate and welcome all of your feedback. I'm going to work on putting your suggestions into place. Whenever I ask for feedback, very few reply with real direction. I wonder if anyone else (no one on here) actually looked at it. Your suggestions put me in the right direction. It's so nice to have another point of view!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon