RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

It's that time of year

Old 04-16-2002, 10:21 PM
Janitor

I bought a shovel today...does that count?

(I never could call a spade a spade)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2002, 10:25 PM

Jakaleena, Yikes!! And I was griping about mowing my front grass -- approximately 10 feet by 20 feet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2002, 10:32 PM

CJ,

I used to live in Phoenix (18 years). I'd gripe too if I was still in that HEAT.

Right after I moved away, I got soooooooooo tired of people saying, "well, it's a DRY heat - right?"

121 degrees is HOT! - wet OR dry....

I got so I started answering, "Yeah? Well so's your oven but you don't wanna LIVE there, now DO you....?"

I don't envy your 10x20 ft. at allllllll - LOL

Jak
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2002, 02:54 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
One acre is quite a bit to do with a walk behing mower. My lot is about 1/2 acre. I also use a walk behind mower, and I prefer it to a riding mower. But my 1/2 acre is enough for me. Any more, and I'd probably want a riding mower. But 121 degrees?? A 10 X 20 foot patch of grass must feel like an acre!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2002, 09:39 AM

Okay, now, just to clear some things up about Phoenix weather -- 121 degrees only happens rarely, and you barely notice the difference from the more common 118 degrees. Actually, the last few years, we've only had a few 113 days, with the norm being 108-111 during the hot part of the summer. Add to that, that we don't have humidity (or so I've been told by Michiganders & Minnesotans), and we're back to the old saying about "it's a dry heat" -- we even sell T-shirts with that saying -- plus a couple of skeletons sitting around sipping some brew after their 18 holes of golf.

But LAWN MOWING in the heat?! Egad! But then I purposely don't plant winter rye grass so that I don't have to mow during the winter and spring, so I guess that only leaves the summer -- hmm, I SHOULD be planting the winter grass so I can mow during the cool season, and figuring a way to keep the bermuda from growing in the summer...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2002, 09:41 AM

Doug -- BUYING a shovel is like my BUYING the lawn mower...

Please describe, in detail, what you actually DO with that shovel... and why you bought it while you were fishing on your vacation?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2002, 11:52 AM

Ahhh, Phoenix.... Some people love the heat. I'm definately not one of them. My sis is still in Phoenix and will probably live there till she dies. I still visit Phoenix regularly.

I've lived in Kentucky, Florida, West Virginia, Ohio, Arizona & Oregon... I've spent time in most of the other continental states. You couldn't get me to live in Phoenix again for all the tea in China.

I guess the AZ Tourism board ran a contest the year after I moved away for a new AZ slogan. The AZ Republic printed some of the ones that didn't win. One of them went:

"Visit Arizona, it's cooler than Hell..."

Just barely.

I'd have voted for that one.

Jak
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2002, 06:38 PM

Jak,

Believe me, I wish more people felt the way you do -- but folks keep moving here by the droves, building more homes with concrete driveways, requiring more streets and highways to be built, all which add to the heat island effect. Oh, and building more swimming pools so they can cool off once in a while.

I was born here and love it, and wouldn't want to live in the cold. I grew up reading the storybook about Chilly Willie, the penguin who didn't like the cold and wanted to float away to a tropical climate -- I'm still a Chilly Willie!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2002, 01:34 AM

CJ,

I know what you mean about Phoenix growing so much. I moved to Oregon in 1991 and when I left I think the population in PHX was something like 5 million. Besides the heat, that's another reason for me leaving. I graduated from Paradise Valley H.S. in 1977 and back then there was nothing out there. When I visited last summer, I could have sworn that Phoenix stretched all the way to Flagstaff! (Ok, an exaggeration, but I agree it has gotten way too big). And the SMOG! I don't even think the smog in LA is as bad and that layer of brown sludge hanging over the Valley of the Sun... And, I think the reason I just can't do that kind of heat anymore is because I got really badly sun poisoned tubing down the Salt one year. I ended up in the ER and spent weeks off work, covered in bandages and Zinc goop.

You know, there's still a lot about Arizona I miss though. I only get good Mexican food when I visit there (don't even TRY to imagine Ohio style Mex food - yecch!) I love camping in Payson, and I love the monsoon season and thunderstorms - and the way the creosote smells after the rain in the desert. And those bruise-colored clouds with rainbows that happen sometimes after a storm along the mesa's on the drive to the Canyon - I miss being able to just jump in the car and go to the Canyon on a whim. I miss going to Nogales. I miss the Southwestern "style" of things...

After I moved, I spent the 90's in Oregon, but then it started growing as bad as Phoenix. I think the entire state of California decided that Oregon was the place to be. Traffic grew. Roads didn't.... Same old story I guess.

So now I live in rural Ohio. There's a little town about 12 miles down the road that has a little old theater. It's like going to the movies in Mayberry. The little place I live in has about 10 houses - maybe (and lots of cows). The population of both of the closest little towns put together is less than 3000. The BIG city, about 35 miles away, has about 35,000.

Pretty soon it will be warm enough to go wading in the river down the road.... And in a couple of months - lightening bugs!

I guess I was just never meant to be a city girl.

Jak
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2002, 09:15 AM

Jak,

I hope lots of folks read your description of Arizona and decide not to move here -- but, WATCH OUT! Now lots of folks will be heading for Heaven in a small town in Ohio!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon