RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Carpal tunnel syndrome

Old 04-17-2002, 03:09 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Doug,

Are you sure you don't have carpal tunnel syndrome? That's the way mine started several years ago. Later on, mine was so bad at night that I would wake up in the middle of the night, and come very close to crying (that would be the end of my sleep)! I asked our local quack if it could be carpal tunnel, and he said "No". After suffering with it for quite a while, I went to a neurologist, who did electrical shock tests on me. She told me that's what it was, and it was bad enough that I would probably need surgery, but I could try the wrist supports (both wrists). They really help me a lot, but I still have the problem after doing certain kinds of work.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2002, 12:02 PM
Janitor

I've never been diagnosed...in fact it's never bothered me enough to think about being diagnosed. Prolonged mousing is the only thing that does it. I use raised pads for wrist support on both keyboard and mouse, just in case.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2002, 08:19 AM

Hi Ed!!!

I've been a secretary since 1966. I've never had a problem with carpal tunnel syndrome.

I learned to type on the old manual typewriters. We were taught how to correctly position our hands and correct posture when keyboarding.

We were taught that the keyboard should be positioned very low, almost in your lap. Your hands, wrists and forearms should be in a parallel position above the keyboard and your fingers should curve downward to touch the keys. I try to use the same position with the mouse.

I really believe that the current problem with carpal tunnel is that people aren't positioning themselves correctly. I use a keyboard tray and have the mouse on the tray. I use the mouse with my right hand, even though I'm left-handed. Also I use a Wacom pen with my left hand for more detailed work. I keep that on my desk and haven't noticed a problem, since that's more like writing than keyboarding.

Sometimes, after working too long on projects, I will notice a numbness on my left side, but I'm sure that's from sitting incorrectly and not getting any exercise

Now, if I could only figure out how to get rid of the pain in my neck and shoulders
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2002, 10:27 PM

Cool

Well since I seem to be the only one that had surgery for carpal tunnel I thought I would reply.
If you ever get to the right point you will hurt so much you will be glad to have surgery.....mine was about 6 years ago....before I had a computer...it's an operation that is a little slice on the inner wrist ...surgeon goes in and clips a tendon that is collaping on a nerve (if I remember correctly}
tom c
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2002, 10:51 PM

Lorraine - I used to get back, shoulder and neck pain almost everyday until I switched to a chair with more lower back support. I also started to take more frequent breaks at work. I would get up, stretch and maybe go get something to drink. When I am working at home, I usually try to take a break every few hours and shoot a basketball or chase the cat around. I hardly ever get back or neck pain anymore.

There is an interesting book I am reading called "Why Things Bite Back" by Edward Tenner. In one chapter, the author examines some of the medical problems, such as Carpal Tunnel, that the modern workplace has created. He has some pretty interesting ideas about how technology often solves one problem and inadvertently creates other, more chronic, ones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2002, 10:27 AM

Lorraine,

Thanks for the tips. Since using the computer doesn't bother me unless I'm already having problems, I really doubt that anything will work for me at times like that. But it's worth a try -- that's for sure!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2002, 10:32 AM

Tom C,

There's no doubt in my mind that if I had known what was wrong, I would have had the surgery. I probably suffered with it for about a year before I found out what the problem was. The wrist supports have been a real life saver for me, which surprised the doctor. Since I've been retired, I don't often do the type of work that bothers me, and life is now once again a good thing!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2002, 07:47 AM

Greg and Ed --

Hi Greg. I agree that getting away from the computer and geeting some kind of exercise helps a great deal. Also the chair is very important. I worked at a telecommunications company for 22 years. I began as a legal secretary. During those 22 years, every time I got a new position, I took my good old typist's chair with me to my new jobs Typist chairs are designed properly, and can raised or lowered to support the individual's back.

Part of my problems are the result of a neck injury I sustained while skiing back in the early 70s. I've been to doctors and chiropractors, but my neck has bothered me ever since. I do feel better when I get some kind of exercise and get away from sitting at a desk and working on the PC.

Ed, I'm sorry to hear about your chronic problem.

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2002, 08:54 AM

Thanks Lorraine, but it's not really a *big* problem. Most of the time I don't even think about it. It's only when it flares up. Then it hangs around for a while.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 06:54 PM

Lightbulb carpal tunnl sydrome

hi
im new here
the only reasoni came here is to ask if anyone
can tell me what the first signs were of the lump
because tonight i got up from sitting and had a wash
and my rist became itchy
and red then a lump apeared probably the size of a peanut

the thing is over 7 years ago i had a injury in my rist where this is