RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Nice to be here !!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 AM

Nice to be here !!

Hello all, I just wanted to say hello. My name is Lee-Ann and I am from Cape Town, South Africa. I am a photo retoucher and have been for years, mostly advertising and model retouching. I loooove the difficult ones so when I am not working and you have a challenge for me, dont be afraid to ask. Right now I am trying to learn how to colour in, in photoshop. ENJOY !! LA
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 PM

Re: Nice to be here !!

Hi Lee-Ann...

Welcome to RP. We are honored that someone as skilled as you joined us.

How did you get into retouching?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2008, 03:50 PM

Hey Danny !!

Gosh, I really made myself sound like a top pro by saying 'years'. Actually I have been working in photoshop for about 8 years and doing photo retouching/manipulation for about 6 and a half years. I studied graphic design and believe it or not we did not use computers. yes, this was in 1992, so I went overseas and worked and lived in Italy and Spain working as a commercial artist/illustrator (all paint and paper :-) and when I came back to Cape Town in 1999 I had some serious catching up to do so did a super quick dtp course which left me confused and intimidated. I played around for about two years working in and illustrating in photoshop and doing basic design and layout etc. I then got a job as a photo retoucher for a big photo studio/lab and I learned very quickly by being thrown into the chaos of the digital world, making it up as I went, borrowing from colleagues, learning from professional hot shot photographers from all over the globe. I did this for ten to thirteen hours a day (and Saturdays) and learned soooo much. I started off using the clone tool to smooth skin and perfected it so that now even with the healing brush tool I still feel more comfortable with 'my way' of cleaning skin and imperfections. Then I got pregnant so I am working from home and mostly work with models from Europe who like what I do and wont use anyone else. I also did some film stuff (stills for promotion for Lord of War (Nicholas Cage and Ethan Hawke etc) But I LOVE the hard ones and the fun ones like adding animals to a field, a house in a desert, recreating scenes etc. Do members post their work here or not really? I am still trying to figure it all out and dying to not be working so I can help I do challenges etc. What about you? What do you do? I have already learned so much being here !! I wish I knew about the site ages ago. Its great, the best I have ever seen and the members are so friendly and helpful. Its paradise !!

LA
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 PM

Do members post their work here or not really?
Members can post examples of their work in the site gallery (see choices under “Site Menu” above). By all means do so. Look forward to seeing some of your handiwork.

I am still trying to figure it all out
Not to worry. Like a new town it will take awhile to get familiar with all the sites and streets here at RetouchPRO. You’ll get it figured out in no time, I’m sure. Half the fun is the "exploring."

…and dying to not be working so I can help I do challenges etc.
Yeah, work… it can be so disruptive to having fun!

I have already learned so much being here !! I wish I knew about the site ages ago. Its great, the best I have ever seen and the members are so friendly and helpful. Its paradise !!
I’m glad you’re having fun so far. I agree about the culture of friendliness / helpfulness. I learn something just about everyday. It's definitely paradise.

What about you? What do you do?
Retired a few years back. My new job is “taxi driver” for my children (12, 10) and helping them with homework. Best gig I've ever had by far.

I also moderate the “photo-art” forum here at RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-based-art/). This venue provides me with opportunities to “intentionally manipulate” photos I shoot to cover up the many technical flaws they usually have!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon