RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Photoshop DVDs, actions, etc: Ripoff? Enterprise?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:04 AM

Photoshop DVDs, actions, etc: Ripoff? Enterprise?

I started a new thread on this topic, essntially the ethics of developing and charging for things like actions, brushes and tutorials on topics that can be learned on your own by finding information on the Internet or downloading free actions, brushes, etc.

This topic was prompted by Insensitive's comments on offerings by Shan Canfield, aka Photoshop Mama.

See this hread: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/21010-free-youtube-retouching-tutorials-photoshop-mama.html

~Danny~

------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/user/photoshopmama
http://www.photoshopmama.net

-------------------------

I dont really like her [Photoshop Mama's] work. She does all of this and tries to get people to buy her products at the same time, if this is the same woman i know about. She sells eyelashes and photoshop "powder" its all BS and she's ripping people off and making them buy something they could get off of deviantart or just read a tutorial and do themselves.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 03-06-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: started new thread on this particular topic
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Re: Free youtube retouching tutorials - Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive. View Post
I dont really like her work. She does all of this and tries to get people to buy her products at the same time, if this is the same woman i know about. She sells eyelashes and photoshop "powder" its all BS and she's ripping people off and making them buy something they could get off of deviantart or just read a tutorial and do themselves.
I sense a little annoyance in your remarks...

Are your comments based on personal experiences (dissatisfaction) with her actions or brushes (hence you feel 'ripped off') or would they be opinions based on your own skills and experience?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2008, 11:17 AM

On both, And i am very sarcastic when it comes to her work, please dont let your personal feelings allow you to dislike my non personal opinion. When i first started retouching, i almost bought her ummmm. I think it was her eyelashes. And my friend stopped me and showed me that they couldnt be downloaded or even made for free.

I dont think its right to make someone, mostly people who dont know any better, pay for something thats free. She's selling them something instead of trying to make them better at something that theyre eventually going to have to learn in the end.

But thats my opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2008, 04:35 PM

Re: Photoshop DVDs, actions, etc: Ripoff? Enterpri

I have no problem with you expressing your opinion.

...but I don't agree with it.

In my opinion a ripoff is when someone tries to deliberately cheat a potential customer and that is not the case when it comes to Shan's offerings.

Prominent Photoshop authors/teachers like Scott Kelby, Ben Wilmore, Kevin Kubota, Dave Cross, Katrinn Eismann, etc. also sell actions, books, tutorials, etc. on topics or methods that can be found on or downloaded from on the net. Would you say they rip people off? (I do believe that some authors produce better products than others.)

I believe anyone should have the opportunity to earn money from their hard earned knowledge and experience.

While these types of Photoshop-related goods/services might not benefit everyone, they can be of value to those who don't have the time, skills and/or desire to “build it themselves” or search the Web.

Purchase incentives like "free samples," "buy 2, get one free," "on sale" or "no money down" and now uTube videos have been around forever. They are just part of marketing.

While it is true there is a lot of "not so good" things for sale, ultimately it is up to the buyer to be as well informed as possible before making a purchase commitment. With the Internet, search engines like Google and forums like this one, there are ample opprtunities to gather information on which to make an informed decision.

In the end no one is forced to click the "OK to pay" button.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 03-08-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: fix typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 PM

Well stated, I agree with DannyRaphael.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive. View Post
I dont think its right to make someone, mostly people who dont know any better, pay for something thats free. She's selling them something instead of trying to make them better at something that theyre eventually going to have to learn in the end.
Who is making them pay?

There's a ton of data on retouching, from Actions to Brushes, to whatever techniques you want available for free.

Most of 'em are garbage, but some of 'em are useful.

Merely weeding out the chaff has a value, and most of the folks selling Actions, Brushes, books, or videos do much more than just weed out bad examples.

DATA is not INFORMATION is not KNOWLEDGE. The web is very good at distributing DATA; it's less good at making that data into information. And it takes more effort to convert even good information into useful knowledge--it's a pyramid in that regard.

If time and effort are free, do all the work yourself. If they're not, let someone do the groundwork--searching for useable info and weeding out bad stuff--and pay them for their efforts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 PM

As a new photoshop user I find Photoshop Mama's tutorials helpful. I'm not planning on purchasing for me, but its a great learning tool for me. The more tools and resources I have to learn from for free, the better I'll get. As far as people like Scott Kelby, he is renowned for his work in photography & in photoshop and enjoy his books.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2008, 11:17 PM

Shan was offering free tutorials for years on her Photoshop Mama website before she started offering some of her help for a fee. She is extremely skillful, and taught college classes in Photoshop.

There is absolutely no dishonor in requesting payment for sharing of knowledge or for products created by an artist. I have paid a lot of money in my lifetime to attend classes and seminars to gain knowledge and skills that the teacher had gained through their hard work and ability. No one "makes" someone pay for anything -- people make choices.

If some artists choose to share their knowledge and give away creations they have constructed using their skills/knowledge -- good for them! People should not expect, however, all other artists to give away everything those artists have worked hard to learn. People should not expect all lawyers to provide their services for free, all carpenters to provide their services for free, all writers, all designers, all athletes, all accountants....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon