Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Junk Landslide

View Poll Results: Junk Mail in a 24 hour period
0-5 21 51.22%
6-10 10 24.39%
11-20 3 7.32%
21-40 2 4.88%
How Many !!!! 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2002, 03:18 PM
I usually get somewhere around 0 to 2 spam emails per day, and I'm pretty carefull about who I give my email address to. I have a hotmail account that I use if there's somebody I don't really trust that i have to give my email out to.
I run AdAware too and it works great for me.
for firewall I was using ZoneAlarm which worked great until they released an update which I was having problems with on my computer (and I couldn't go back to the old version because I got an error message saying it was outdated and wouldn't let me install it) so I switched to Tiny personal firewall and it works just fine.
the GRC link that Chris gave is a great site. they have some really nice little freeware utilities (here)

Jerry - There's a program on there called LeakTest that I'd suggest trying out on BlackIce, because it's known to have security holes (it doesn't catch the program trying to call out) It tells about Blackice in the help section of leaktest. I tested it on Tiny personal firewall and it cought it.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2002, 03:53 PM
I'd certainly avoid any of the 'remove me' links they are just hooks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2002, 04:05 PM
yep I used to try them but they usually never work (and you're also giving them you're email address again when you do it)

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2002, 04:11 PM
Spam is indeed a very pesky thing, but luckily so far for me telemarketers bother me more. I report any spam mail that I do receive to their host domain and try to get them removed. I basically forward the spam email with full headers to the host domain with the following statement:

The following COMMERCIAL UNSOLICITED E-MAIL was received by myself. Please educate your users that this spam and can clog people's mailboxes and subject them to criminal prosecution.
In some states, it falls under the definition of illegal faxing without the recipient's permission. (Device having a computer, modem, and printer and capable of printing images. USC 47.5.II.227. Fine: $500 per recipient.)

In some countries, it falls under the Criminal Statutes regarding unauthorized alteration of computer data or theft of computer resources. (Theft of access time and disk space.)

It seems to work...that is until the spammers get a new email address.

For more info go to:
Spam Abuse

I also use the following site to trace spam:

Combat Spam
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2002, 05:20 PM
Chris - THANKS for the pointer to that GRC site. I have a vague memory that you've mentioned it before, but for some reason this time it really caught my eye. I tested my system security and found I was "STEALTH" - i.e. in good shape. Yeah!

Also, T - Thanks for the pointers to spam abuse. I'm going to start doing what you do!! (Of course, I'm frantically changing my e-mail now to get off of yahoo since they will start charging for POP service come this Wed. That should help reduce my spam drastically, since it's the address I get most of my spam on.)

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2002, 07:15 PM
Hi Folks

This is all very good information. I will keep all of this in mind if I start to get spam again.

David, I ran leaktest on blackice. The current version of Blackice is 3.5. That seems to be considerably higher than the version 2.xx that they were bashing. Blackice immediately shut down the leaktest program as an unauthorized program. I guess it is secure. It might be too secure for my liking, whenever you download anything, it is alarmed as a possible rogue program until you figure out how to add it to the safe list.. The jury is still out on this firewall..

Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2002, 04:10 AM
lol - oh dear me! they say there is one born every minute! I have no firewall and no form of internet security installed on my computer, in the interest of science I too followed Chris's link and was amused to find that I was also in 'stealth' mode!

This page will yield the same results practically every time, even under different test circumstances I would suspect this says more about this sites dubious selling techniques than it does about the ability of my computer to combat the script kiddies.

It claims that without the aid of a firewall 'closed' is the best that I can hope for - well Windows XP Pro. must have a considerably beefed up set of security features ( hmmmm doubt they start now) or............well you decide

Most firewalls that are software based are misleading anyway. Many times they pop up and exclaim their brilliance for managing to prevent one or other of your ports being open, a large percentage of these 'attacks' are nothing of the sort and can range from ghost packets to echos and other phenomana. When you do get genuinely attacked the 'attacker' will rarely use their machine to instigate the attack, instead they will route it through various other machines.

As a rule most malicious scans are just that. Scans. Rarely ( if ever ) will you be a direct target for someone trying to maliciously gain access to your computer - normally port scanners are run in an attempt to see if anyone has managed to previously install trojans or other devices that can be used to gain influence over your operating system, they do not target your computer alone, but rather 'sweep' the internet looking for loopholes. Most people who access the internet regularly also have dynamic ip's that change and so make repeated attacks from one source an unlikely eventuality.

As for the issue of spam - dont install anything on your compter that comes with GAIN, Gator or any of the othe 'offer companions' that come with many free programs - the road to hell is paved.....yadayada ya

Oh....and..... "Let's be careful out there."

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2002, 05:43 AM
Mike says: "and was amused to find that I was also in 'stealth' mode!

This page will yield the same results practically every time, even under different test circumstances..."

I am still running Win98, and when I check out my computer at the leak test (during the past year) WITHOUT a firewall activated, it shows that I am NOT in "stealth mode", but when I activate Zone Alarm, it DOES show "stealth mode". I don't know whether my computer is in danger when it is not in stealth mode, but it sounds better to me, and my firewall is the free version.

On another topic -- I've been using the internet since 1993, and the have never been sent a virus UNTIL last week. I knew the email was not from a friend/relative, but thought it was spam and clicked on it momentarily just to delete it -- my Norton anti-virus program kicked in with a warning message and asked me to choose an option -- I chose delete, but I was searching for a KILL option. The virus was identified as KLEZ - an internet worm that has recently been making another round. I updated my virus definitions and scanned my drives -- all okay -- until the next attack?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2002, 06:14 AM
I found that setting up a seperate hotmail account was very helpful for me.

That address is the one set up in my agent newsgroup reading software and the one I use for most other websites. I still maintain a seperate Email address for friends and a select # of trusted sites like this one.

Yea, I still get about 6 or so a week, but they always come into my hotmail address and are automatically thrown into junk mail. Once a week I empty that folder without even viewing it.

It really helped for me - Carl
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2002, 03:37 AM
I haven't used my hotmail account for a while but it has about 500 junk messages in it at the moment, about 3 weeks 'trawl'. It tells me any further messages will be redirected to their source so thats fine by me !

I f you want to keep doubtful mail at a distance and delete without downloading try this little free utility Smartmail at....

I've no doubt its one of many similar programs.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon