RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Introduction - John Eales

Old 07-02-2008, 07:08 AM

Introduction - John Eales

Hello guys, my name is John Eales.
I'm getting on in years (that's enough of that) now retired.
Life long interest in photography, have used various film cameras mostly Olympus OM1 up until four years ago - went digital. Now I am self leaning photography, graphic editing and printing on a computer; Can anybody please assist, I know it must be simple, I bought the Hidden Power of Photoshop Eelements 4 disk&book when first introduced.
I am now trying to use curves. I start with my photo in the editor, then using the cd I bring a full-screen picture of the curve and then the list of presets in styles and effects but by doing this I have overridden my photo that is being worked on. I understand that the preset must be dragged over onto the image which is hidden.

Thanks in advance, John.

Last edited by john.eales; 07-02-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 PM

Re: Introduction - John Eales

Hi John, and welcome to RetouchPRO! I'm not sure that I understand your question but thought you might be interested in this tutorial on curves:

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=53

Curves are quite simple once you get the hang of it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 PM

John,
Sorry for late reply. We usually don't look for support questions in the Salon forum.... however, I'll try. I also am having a little trouble understanding your issue. It sounds like you are trying to drag-and-drop a curves adjustment layer onto another image. That usually works fine. Sometimes the hard part is keeping the target image visible. If that is the issue, simply click on the Window drop down, then click on Arrange > Tile Horizontally. This quickly shows your images and you can drop the adjustment on your target.

Not sure if this is the issue, if not please respond and restate. Also, try posting the same thread to the Image Help forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2008, 11:08 AM

Hi folks. I must thank BagLady who was so helpful with her reply regarding the use of curves. It was great to recieve a reply. I must also thank TommyO for putting me right. I have now sorted out how to use the curves, Thank you once again. My problem is that I have never used computers. I first started photography at the age of 15 yrs old - looking back, I remember it as being so easy, working with an enlarger, burning and shading. For the last couple of years, Photoshop Elements and the computer has been a big learning curve. Will communicate later, thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 PM

hi john and welcome to RP.

it's funny you said this:
Quote:
looking back, I remember it as being so easy, working with an enlarger, burning and shading.
. i was quite the opposite. i've had cameras all my life, as well, but i hated the idea of darkroom work and never learned it. when computers came along i was in nirvana. i guess there are different shades of geek
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 PM

Hi John,

Happy to hear that you've resolved your problem! I think it's great that you have the patience and spirit to learn a completely new method of working!!! Don't be shy... Post any question that you might have... This is a great, friendly forum that's always willing to help out! Have fun and good luck!

BagLady
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon