RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

I miss album covers

Old 04-29-2002, 11:33 PM

Greg, that cover is awesome... I love it. You guys must have had a blast making it.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the nice compliments everyone.

Sharon - We did have a blast making it! That's why I thought Lisa's idea for an album cover challenge would be so much fun. I would love to see what people on here could come up with! Maybe we could set a few basic rules like 1 photo that has to be incorporated and maybe a name for the album like "Music to Restore by" Create the cd with a front, back and sides...anyone have a good cd template?

To get back to the original subject of the thread....I am a child of the CD era, so I was never exposed to much album art. (expect for the "Sesame Street Disco" album I had as a child ) I can tell you it would be nice to have a little bit more real estate when it come to designing artwork for CD covers! It' hard to be very creative with such a small space.

There are many old jazz cds that I would love to have the album of...just for the cover art! Several Miles Davis albums come to mind...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 12:26 AM

Wow Greg that's great. I had to design a cd cover for my son's recording assignment( he's studying Ausio Engineering) a few weeks ago wish I had seen your cover first. Mine was simple but it looked ok for the time I had to do it, I was asked to do it 2 hours before it was to be handed in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 02:24 AM

Greg, instead of a template I create new pages using the following measurements for the front and back covers in PS:
front single 12x12cm
front double 12x24cm
with the back, I start with the picture surface: 11.7x13.6cm. once that is finished, I create a transparent top layer, select all and stroke 1 pixel on that layer with a contrasting color to the rest of the cover for an outline to the side title areas.

I then increase the canvas size to 11.7x15cm for the side title areas and do the necessary titling and rotations (PS kindly centres the picture area on the new canvas).

I print these on a matt Epson paper (Photo quality ink jet paper - S041061). One trick to get the side title areas to fold properly is to lightly score the stroke lines with a knife and a ruler as a guide (take care not to cut thru the paper tho' you only need to break thru' the coating on the paper).

HTH.

ps: does the barcode on your cover mean anything
pps: this is probably OT, Doug and should be on the tips forum!

Last edited by BigAl; 04-30-2002 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 03:04 AM

Doug, I recently did a "History of Santana" compilation where I used the lion's head cover as part of my cover. That collage of faces was a stunningly clever bit of artwork, which is almost totally lost on reducing it to CD size.

That is one cover that I remember staring at for ages trying to pick out all the little faces.

Lisa, I'm all for your challenge. (I can cheat and use some of the covers I've already created )
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 09:06 AM

Yes Album Covers

I'm with Al, Yes come to mind for cool album covers. I believe Yes' covers were designed by Roger Dean. He was a giant in the fantasy art of the 70s. Tales From Topographic Oceans and Close To The Edge were 2 of my favs. I have kept "We're Only In It For The Money" by Zappa just for the cover art which is a parody of Sgt. Pepper. Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 10:37 AM

Al - I figured out the scoring of the paper the hard way! I went through 2 prints before I discovered that little trick. The barcode was a joke...just random numbers. After we made it, we realized we should have put his girlfriend's birthday as the number, since it was a gift!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 01:26 PM

Thanks BigAl for the dimensions and tips. I found a nice website with a PDF with templates on it. I attempted to upload the file here but found out it won't allow PDF. So, here is the web URL

http://www.graphic-design.com/DTG/DT...d/cdjacket.pdf

Lisa
P.S. I have another template attached in the right file format.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 10:06 PM

That is a great looking CD Cover Greg.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2002, 08:57 AM

I found some inspiration!

http://www.superseventies.com/greatestalbumcovers.html
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon