Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

What's wrong with Canada?

Old 04-29-2002, 09:06 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL

You mean you really don't do that?

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 09:19 PM
No Ed,

We don't all speak french either

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2002, 01:55 PM
A Canadian living in the U.S.

Hi All:

Just saw this thread and had to say something.

I was born and raised in Burlington, Ontario, a suburb of Toronto. A great place to be a kid.

Now I'm here in Denver, Colorado. Also a beautiful place but different. There are so many things I miss about home but they are all little things. I miss the variation in stores, the bakeries and unique foods. Butter Tarts, potato cakes, malt bread, Naniamo bars, certain chocolate bars (Mr. Big, Aero, Coffee Crisp to name a few), restaurants like Swiss Chalet, Harvey's, New York Fries, and Liks.

I certainly think Canadian's are a bit more conservative, respectful and polite as a population. There are many American's that are all those things as well just they can be harder to find.

There is certainly a difference is certain pronuciations. oot, aboot, hoose and saying eh? I have the so called accent (although personally I think that is the correct pronuciation it's not spelled abowt you know!) but I was lucky that I never really said eh!

I am not used to the whole health care thing here. I watched a friend get picked up by an ambulance after hurting an ankle playing softball. Before they did a thing he had to show a medical card and tell them which hospital he wanted to go to. What's up with that? If I'm hurt I want to go to the nearest hospital not fill out paper work and show cards.

Canadian health care may have some downfalls, slower service for non-emergencies and so on but you will be taken care of no matter how much money you have, and if your child is sick you don't have to worry that you will go bankrupt trying to give him/her the care they deserve.

I have to say being the result of Canadian public school system and having a step son in the Colorado school system they aren't that much different. Both have severe problems. Our view of the school system is to keep a close eye on your kids no matter where they are and make sure they are learning what they need to know. We sit down with him while he does his homework every night and quiz him on things he should know and sit with him while he reads to us 20-30 minutes each evening and he is becoming a great student! They say learning begins at home!

Ok well I could go on and on but I need to get going. I highly recommend any American reading this to take a visit, many visits to Canada. It is a wonderful place, not all that different from the US in people and architecture (man made things) but amazing for it's natural beauty!!!!!

I love going home!

P.S. I'm not french either, although my husband told his mom that I was! Because all Canadian's are you know!

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2002, 02:49 PM
What do you mean? We have free medical care here in the US and as long as you're an illegal immegrant.
I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and have inheirited the Canadian accent common in that region so I agree with you Heather "about" is not spelled abowt so it shouldn't be pronounced that way. Can't tell you how many times I get teased about that here in South Florida.
Canada wasn't so much another country to me growing up more like a day trip over the bridge. I loved it there. I would love to see more of it someday.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2002, 02:51 AM
I'll tell'ya what's wrong with Canada, it's too crowded.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2002, 07:58 PM
Heather, David, Mig, Margaret -- I hope to visit Canada someday, and have always had an interest in the beauty of your country although it's a cooler climate than I would be comfortable staying in for long (being an Arizona "desert rat" ). My first recollections of anything Canadian was Sgt. Preston of the Canadian Mounties (and his dog King, of course) -- I've always loved those Mounties!

Then I saw photos of Vancouver, and Lake Louise, Atlantic puffins, etc. etc. -- your country is a treasure trove of beauty.

Your health-care system is one that the U.S. has looked at over the years, and one that I still think could help us fix our current nightmare of a system.

According to the census, Canada's population increased by only 4.0%, and the population density is 1/10th of the U.S. But you're safe from invasion by this Arizonan -- brrrr!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2002, 02:55 AM
Will all the stuff going on here in Zim, we've been looking at the possibility of emigrating somewhere else. But Canada never came to mind, until now! What put me off was that shortly after my parents married, they lived in Quebec for four years and some of my father's 8mm cine films show snow halfway up buildings!! They used to go tobogganing from a first floor window!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2002, 09:47 AM
Well Sam, it's true... we have snow. For us however, it stays on the mountains most of the time. We have 2-3 snowfalls a year that actually amount to something. I think Canada is a wonderful place to raise children.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2002, 09:50 AM
Here is a shot I took of our local mountains yesterday afternoon. Does this look cold to you?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountains resized.jpg (91.1 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2002, 07:36 PM
"They used to go tobogganing from a first floor window!"

As a child I'd do this, and, we'd also jump off the roof of our house and then make angels in the snow. One time I came back to my house from a ski trip and we'd had a monster storm and in order to get to my front door from the street I had to surf on my skis. The snow was about 8 feet high. When I got to the front door my parents had to shovel the snow into the house in order to open the front door wide enough to let me in.

And CJ, you think Canada is cold? Try visiting S.F. in the middle of July. I was standing at a light last summer here in SF and a crazy street person said to no one, "The coldest winter I ever had was the summer I spent in San Francisco." In a queer sort of way it made sense.
In the summer months in the eastern part of Canada the temperatures are routinely in the 80's & 90's.
It does get cold in the winter though. Farley Mowat, the great Canadian author, once wrote, "It's so cold your spit freezes before it hits the ground."
The best time to visit is in August.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon