RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

What's wrong with Canada?

Old 05-24-2002, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lampy

It is unfotunate that Walmart has cracked into the Canadian market. Their rath will continue to kill many more small businesses.

Heather's Rant for the day!

You can say that again! The little town where I attended college, had it's entire downtown retail area crushed when Walmart came to town. The shops were all small, "Mom and Pop" shops and just could not compete. It was frustrating because the downtown was within walking distance for us college students, and it had lots of unique restaraunts and shops...until Walmart landed on the outskirts of town!

...and could they at least plant a few trees in those giant parking lots they build!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 09:54 AM

what's wrong with Canada

Yet another proud Canuck here. I live in Montreal which is a totally fun fun city. I have lived in the New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario and BC. I love every part of this country. The people are peaceful, friendly, decent and great neighbors. We care about each other and we care about the rest of the world. Sure, we talk funny... blame it on the buttertarts.

Doug, to answer your question... the only thing I could ever describe as "wrong" with Canada is the rotation of seasons which goes like this:

Winter, More Winter, Late Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, Pre-Winter, Early Winter and Winter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 11:08 AM

Yum!!!! Buttertarts! I miss so many yummy treats being away!

You know your Canadian when you make a Canadian receipe book up with all your favourite treats in it (naniamo bars, butter tarts, potato cakes and so on). I made one for my sister who's in California and included images of The Friendly Giant, Mr. Dressup and other Canadian icons.

You don't know what your missing until it's gone....

--Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 11:33 AM

Here's Mr. Dressup!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mrdressup-canada.jpg (18.6 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 11:08 PM

And Dick Irvin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg irvin_140.jpg (17.7 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2002, 01:01 AM

Slightly off topic but I grew up watching Mr. Dressup. The picture has my two favorite characters in it... Casey and Finnegan. Ernie was a wonderful artist and actually inspired me. I would watch his shows and try and draw along with him.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2002, 01:05 AM

I must say the one thing I miss about living back east was the maple syrup. I remember going on a field trip and learning how the syrup was made.

My favorite part was getting to eat freshly cooked maple syrup and taking home a maple leaf candy made from maple syrup. Now that's Canadian!

Back east the in the fall... the trees and colors were amazing.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2002, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OhThatGirl2001
My favorite part was getting to eat freshly cooked maple syrup and taking home a maple leaf candy made from maple syrup. Now that's Canadian!
Hmmm - I always thought those candies came from Vermont! They're ubiquitous there too - along with the beautiful maple trees among the fall foliage... Then again - I suppose Vermont could have "stolen" the idea from across the border.
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2002, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the picks everyone!

Lisa where did you grow up? I'm just curious because I'm from Southern Ontario (Burlington) and we did the same type of field trip at Mountsburg Park (sp??). Actually we played some game about carnivors, omivors and herbivors followed by tapping trees, boiling sap, drinking syrup and of course eating maple candy.

The strange Canadian I am, I'm not overly fond of the candy..... But I guess we're all entitled to like and dislike things!

Cheers! And happy day after Memorial day/ week after Victoria day to those in North America!

--Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2002, 09:25 AM

Well... purhaps belabouring the sugar thread here, I hate to tell you jeaniesa, but Quebec produces 90% of the maple syrup in the world. Vermont and Ontario make most of the remainder.

Mr Dressup will be saddly missed. My son actually cried when he heard the news... and he's 25!

Lampy... I think what I would miss the most is Tim Horton's.

I'm not sure what this thread has to do with photo retouching but Doug started it and... well, I'm new here (2 days) and I feel like I've stumbled upon a treasure.

Is this an amazing site or what?

It has already helped me improve my skills and given me a wealth of information as I struggle to get my new business off the ground.
(I'm still pushing it along the ground at this point)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon