RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

For all the music lovers out there!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:29 PM

I just wanted to point out a great site that allows you to make free, personalized internet radio stations with no commercial interruptions... Only music .

www.pandora.com

Based on your favorite tunes, it only proposes music of the same genre. Give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to personalize the station... It takes time to get the station just the way you want it, so you need to have a bit of patience.

The stations are based on genre, so you can't create a station that plays classic rock and lounge... Create separate stations for every type of music that you like.

Tip: Don't give a thumbs up unless you absolutely love the song!

Unfortunately, Pandora is only available in U.S.A.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 12:46 PM

Re: For all the music lovers out there!

yup, i've been using pandora for years now. i dont use it that often, but i do use it. the biggest bug-a-boo is that it can be VERY hard to get a particular song by a particular artist to come up (unless you start a new station with that song and artist and even then it's not a guarantee). this is because of the way they are making money and because of the copyrights involved and so on. the idea here is to get you to try out new music you've not heard before. it's like an introduction service/radio station. by only selecting random songs of your picked genre/interests, they can feed you songs that may not have made the top-ten lists and thus, hopefully, catch your interest enough to go out and buy that music. that's how they've managed to finagle the rights to play those songs for free to you.

so, it's a sort of pot-pourri situation. you cannot order up each and every song you want specifically. you can order up, say a song by Chicago, which may or may not come up right away, but you will get songs related in some fashion to that Chicago song and those songs that follow. by using the thumbs-up and down function, you can more closely tailor what comes up or not.

and, it is free; completely. and because it uses cookies and activex functions in your browser, it remembers your stations.

i forget how many stations you are allowed, but it's something like 100 (or possibly more). these stations can also be shared with others.

they do a good job and it's one of the best free services on the web.

thanks for reminding me, baglady. i hadnt been there in a while. got it on now, though
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 01:00 PM

I have it on too... Listening to some lounge (with a touch of Brazilian flair)! Couldn't do without... all that d&b is quite boring without a bit of music!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 01:12 PM

hehe, yup. gotta have something to distract me while cloning endlessly got my 'peter, paul & mary' station on right now
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 04:27 PM

I`m afraid its USA only now due to licencieng laws :-(
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 04:38 PM

Unfortunate, but true...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagLady View Post

I just wanted to point out a great site that allows you to make free, personalized internet radio stations with no commercial interruptions... Only music .

www.pandora.com

Based on your favorite tunes, it only proposes music of the same genre. Give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to personalize the station... It takes time to get the station just the way you want it, so you need to have a bit of patience.

The stations are based on genre, so you can't create a station that plays classic rock and lounge... Create separate stations for every type of music that you like.

Tip: Don't give a thumbs up unless you absolutely love the song!

Unfortunately, Pandora is only available in U.S.A.
Thank you BagLady! This is fantastic! The music I enjoy most is far from the mainstream. I did not think they would come up with anything but I was wrong. Finally, a radio station that plays my kind of music. Now to see if I'm coordinated enough to D&B while tapping my foot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 04:21 AM

You're welcome JD Spears! I'm glad you like it!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon