RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

I just been hijaaked.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:28 AM

Re: I just been hijaaked.

ALCMTR.exe is not an infection as such, I've just got into the habit of removing it.

http://www.systemlookup.com/lists.ph...=ALCMTR.exe&s=

Quote:
alcmtr ALCMTR.EXE Realtek AC97 Audio - Event Monitor. "Spyware" file used surreptitiously monitor one's actions. It is not a sinister one, like remote control programs, but it is being used by Realtek to gather data about customers
The red client entries come with all sorts of different infections, some fairly benign ones, and some real PITA ones. In and of themselves they are nothing more than an indication that you've been infected at some time and that all remnants of the infection were not removed, although because they re-direct, they needed to be removed.

The infections they're most commonly seen with are Wareout, Vundo and Smitfraud, all of which are targeted specifically by MBAM, which does an excellent job of removing them usually, which is why I ran that particular tool. If MBAM didn't find anything of consequence then it's unlikely you have those infections.

Nothing else on your log gives me cause for concern, but if you have any worries, we can look a little deeper.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 08-31-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Patron

Hey Gary,

I went ahead and un-installed YIM anyway, and also disabled ALCMTR.EXE from my startup. I had another episode today where my computer rebooted and ran chkdsk. I subsequently ran Chkdsk /p (have alternative boot setup for that). No problems found, but my guts more and more telling my my HD is going South. I can't tell you again how many SATA from customers have failed this year. It doesn't help to adopt the bleeding edge (though SATA has been around for a few now); if my HD is failing, I will be going back to IDE (PATA). As I stated before, just can't beat old tried and true.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 01:28 AM

Does Event Viewer give you any more info on your HD problems?

Right click on MyComputer then click Manage to bring up the Computer Management window click and expand Event Viewer and look over the System logs.

If your disk is going south there's usually a fair few error entries for disk. Might give you some idea about what's failing.

(I probably don't need to tell you this, and you've probably already done it, but thought I'd mention it just in case)

Good luck with your problems, whichever way you need to go to resolve them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Patron

Only one entry with NTFS (and that was when the crash happened; just recommended running CHKDSK and I did). Only other errors were DHCP which aren't critical. Other issues with applications like internet explorer and GIMP which I remembered having too. Still, I will keep an eye on things to see what happens. Again thanks for the help Gary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 09:00 AM

You're welcome Lyle.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon