RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

I just been hijaaked.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Patron

Angry I just been hijaaked.

My account has been hijaaked and they changed my password on another forum. Man this erks me; don't know how they acquired personal data. I do fix PCs and am quite aware of the security risks and am not only fully patched, but practice safe browsing techniques and even using a Sandbox. Just don't understand why people get their jollies because they can. Don't know if I'm personally being attacked or if this is a more wider spread problem, but I wanted to pass on to you a heads up (and also want to vent).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 PM

Re: I just been hijaaked.

that's happened to a few of my friends that use YIM on a pc...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 01:47 AM
Janitor

If they didn't also change your email address, most forums have the facility to reset the password and email it to you (I know we do here).

I wouldn't take it personally. Some unpatched forums are vulnerable to attacks on the database, but the results that come back are usually random. I take many (many) steps to try to prevent it here, but I can't say it's impossible.

Let the admin know, so he can install current patches.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 07:19 AM
Patron

Thanks Doug; was so angry that I forgot this, but just a few minutes ago I did just that and it said it was a success and sending password info, but I just checked my email and it still hasn't come in yet; hopefully in the next few minutes it will. If not, then I'll have to use other means of contact (which will depend on my other online friends of course).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Patron

Also another observation. Usually, if a user changes info on his account, a curtesy email is sent to verify thusly, but I did not receive one. I would think if someone maliciously changed pass and email info, that it would still send that curtesy email to the original email account. Anyway, it's been several minutes and I still haven't received that email even thought the auto-daemon on the sight said it sent the email immediately, so I am now thinking that I will have to use alternative means. I keep you all posted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 12:19 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

My first thought is the hijacker also changed your email address, hence the lack of notifications. Can the site admins check on that and see? Might give a clue as to who this person is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Patron

Yeah; looks like they don't send a comfirmation email when something like this happens. A shame for sure. Phyllis has not emailed me yet meaning that this has to be the case. I will try to email some "friends" to see if they can give her a heads up in my behalf. Thanks for all of your concerns. Still angry, but I know eventually something like this would happen to me. Pss&Qss required.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Patron

Just again wanted to thank all for your concern. Just received my reset and all is well for now. Man, these hacks. Don't know if I'm still angry at them, or am jealous of how talented they are to have pulled this off, but as paranoid as I am (trust me I am) I apparently wasn't paranoid enough, but hopefully that has been alleviated now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2008, 03:42 AM

Hi Lyle,

Hack can have been at the site end, or it's also possible you've got a "guest" on board.

What OS are you using?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Patron

Maybe so Gary; AVG, Zonealarm (now no longer; weird boot-up issues since SP3), Spybot S&D, and now Sandboxie. Currently (not smart I know, but...) using Spybot as a sort of defacto Firewall in conjuction to M$ cr@ppy one. Will more religiously depend on Sandboxie for now on too. I just had to recover from a three month image (with data backup of course; my Gigabyte internal backup which I frequently make, was corrupted for some reason). I only lost a few Give-a-Way of the Day programs that were cool, but not essential. Still, they only hosed my Innographx password and didn't do anything to my other forums (which I quickly changed all my passwords; should do this more frequently anyway). All seems well now, but I'm still a little concerned with my SATA drive. Had to replace a lot of them (fix computers for a living) over the last year, so I question the reliability of these drives. Give me an IDE drive anyday (except Deskstar, or is that Deathstar drives; lol).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon