Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Old 05-24-2002, 10:11 PM
another photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new-hubble-sm.jpg (98.7 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2002, 10:40 PM
oohhh astrology cool

For Doug, the Dobsonion, although cool for seeing and buying is no good for photography. Now meade, a company that makes scopes just like Celestrons but cheaper is the way most serious folks go now a days. A number of yrs ago I used to go on star parties with a friend, and one nite up on Mt. Palomar this guy had a suburban behind which he towed a mini dome with an 8". In the back of the suburban was a giant shelf thing that pulled out and had a computer and mono monitor, he would hook up to the scope. Now to me these nights were devine with all the little red lites and darkness and you could walk around and steal a peak in peoples scopes. In fact, my friend and I didn't even bring one, we were the only ones without a scope but it wasen't held against us. Anyway this was in '90 and although I don't know how long ccds have been in amateur scopes, I have to think this was pretty early in the game. So this guy with the setup, we go up, and there is a small crowd standing around. I look at the monitor and there before out eyes is the Sombrero Galaxy getting brighter as he pushed some buttons every few minutes. The CCD and computer together can gather and store the image in a way the eye can't. The Hubble works the same way. All the images from Hubble are digital, and if you go to one of many sites, you'll see the best astro photos in the world, right there on your little puter, any time you want. What a wonderful Country.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2002, 04:51 AM
That cone nebula is awesome Ron. Looks like a person.

My boss has just come back from a conference in the States, and one of the freebies he picked up was a CD from nasa showing a whole bunch of these things taken from Hubble.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2002, 09:14 AM
Well shoot. Somebody told me the Universe Song wasn't there when they opened it and asked me to try again. Unfortunately, the actual file is too big to load up. If you want it, just PM me with your email addy and I'll send it to you.

Or you can get it here if you want

Universe Song
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2002, 12:05 PM
Hi BigAl and Rondon

Cool pictures. It amazes me that these things are out there and you just don't realize it. I really enjoy pics. like these.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2002, 04:21 PM
Photoshop universe
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2002, 04:35 PM
My contribution to this subject is:

My father works at NASA.

Anyone ever seen the space shuttle take off? Pretty awesome, especially at night.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2002, 11:14 PM
Doug - Great article! It's always amusing to see people look through a telescope for the first time and wonder why it does not look like a Hubble photo!

chiquitita - I have never seen a shuttle launch but would absolutely love to! Definitely a road trip one of these days ...if only NASA still used Saturn 5 rockets..that would be a site to behold!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2002, 11:40 PM
It is quite an amazing experience, especially at night. Miles away you can feel the ground shake. When I lived in Florida, I could see them out of my bedroom window. When the shuttle came back from Edwards piggyback, it would fly right over our house. You don't really appreciate it when you live there. Most people don't even pay attention to when they are going up. And the landings - well the sonic boom usually clued everyone in on those... I am sure these days as jumpy as everyone is, that nobody appreciates the sonic boom much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2002, 11:12 AM
I live in So Flo and we can see it as a firey plume with a contrail down here in Boca. Mostly we see it going up on tv and such so the noise is playing at the same time it's going up. when we went to the Kennedy Space Cen one year to see it go up I almost missed it because there was no sound at first. It stands to reason because you're a couple miles away but it just seemed wierd then after a few seconds and the shuttle is well on it's way, the sound and rumble catch up and boy is it loud. It was an impressive sight to behold for sure. We figured living as close as we do, we had to go at least once and I was glad we did. Very cool experience.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon