RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Another problem.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Patron

Another problem.

One of my 1G memory modules failed. Knew I was getting more and more unstable since I had to recover from a computer crash a week ago. Way to lazy to retype the details, but for the interested, click here. Man; I keep having to remind myself that if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. lol

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 10:29 AM

Re: Another problem.

hi Ikroll,
I read your details and it could be just bad luck and coincidence so many failure in a short time .... but my background is electronics and I think of other things....
1. the brand... some brands of memory are better than others, i generally don't trust anything out of china.... poor manufacturing and poor quality control.... canyou correlate the bad chip to a particular company?
2. could be that just a bad batch of memory....... unlucky enough to get all your ram from the same batch..... I remember back in i believe 1988-89 .. there was huge bad batch of ram being sold across the country..... some time it was noticable when installed windows or or some other large programs..... i remember some of the local pc shope there in SD were doing there own memory tests before selling... they were getting tired of the returns.. smiling..
note: just recently helped a person who bought 2 1g ram chips ... had minor problems turns out 1 of the 2 new chips were bad!!!
3. power..... i run into this a lot... a power supply that not bad but putting out to much power..... over time that will weaken components then go bad....
4. your input power..... I have seen this a lot with pc's... there always fluxuations on the power lines and not unusual to have voltage spikes/noise on the power lines.... your typical pc power supply generally not good enough to stop this from getting into the pc and cause issues over time..... I generally use a UPS with a good avc/avr circutry ...... it will maintain a nice clean level of power to the pc power supply filtering out those voltage noise/spikes ...

sorry for being long winded but I thought i pass along...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
One of my 1G memory modules failed. Knew I was getting more and more unstable since I had to recover from a computer crash a week ago. Way to lazy to retype the details, but for the interested, click here. Man; I keep having to remind myself that if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. lol

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Patron

An Ex-EE (or Technician wannabe; you'll decide; lol) myself Jerry and it could be just a bad batch. I didn't concentrate on the chips used in the failed memory modules, but they were primarily DDR/DDR2 modules and from various vendors (some highend; some not). My memory looks quite generic (didn't purchase my PC; was a Christmas gift bare-bones from my brother) but it did have warranty sticks, but I doubt I will go that route; could probably get me a 6400 DDR2 module for $40 or less (1 Gig that is) and the cost in time and other things would forfeit any gain. May give the module to my boss who does this all the time and see what can be done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 03:23 PM

hi,
yes a lot of time it not worth repairing or to find the actual cause.. smiling...
been there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
An Ex-EE (or Technician wannabe; you'll decide; lol) myself Jerry and it could be just a bad batch. I didn't concentrate on the chips used in the failed memory modules, but they were primarily DDR/DDR2 modules and from various vendors (some highend; some not). My memory looks quite generic (didn't purchase my PC; was a Christmas gift bare-bones from my brother) but it did have warranty sticks, but I doubt I will go that route; could probably get me a 6400 DDR2 module for $40 or less (1 Gig that is) and the cost in time and other things would forfeit any gain. May give the module to my boss who does this all the time and see what can be done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Patron

Just an update; yes I splurged. lol

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon