RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Hurricane Ike

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 09:51 PM

Hurricane Ike

My parents live in Galveston, literally just behind the shopping center where the Weather Channel has been broadcasting all day. After being evacuated for 2 weeks after Katrina, knowing Slidell had serious damage, I know how desperate one becomes for any source of accurate information.

I originally started a Google Map so I could show friends and family where certain "landmarks" were, like my parent's house, my childhood home, and the place I got married. Today I started adding screenshots from the web, and links to video - anything I could reasonably pinpoint to within a few blocks of where it was taken.

Upon careful consideration, I have decided to share this with a slightly wider audience - my friends on several forums. Where it will go from there I don't know. But I have enabled it for open editing, and if it ends up helping someone at least KNOW, then I have paid it forward a little bit.

So if you have any screenshots or video that you can link to a specific spot on Galveston Island, please feel free to add it to my map. (Well, I have been keeping it to Galveston just to give myself some focus. I guess you can actually add for anywhere!) The official "links" keep breaking, so just go to Google Maps and search for "Galveston from a Conway Perspective." (Conway being my maiden name.)

Thank you for your help and for the love and positive energy directed at all vicims of Ike, Gustav, Katrina, Rita and all Hurricanes and disasters, natural and otherwise.

- Julie Wood
Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 AM

Re: Hurricane Ike

We got "Iked" as well. Still running on generators days later. As I had to unplug the freezer for a few computer minutes, I'd better keep this short.

ALL of the folks along the wide path of Ike have my heartfelt sympathies and prayers.

A word of advice, keep at least a month of medicines and at least two weeks worth of groceries and staples in your homes. We would be lost without that small bit of preparedness.

Janet
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 PM

i live in western kentucky and Ike hit us, too. the odd part was it was all wind and no rain. we had about six hours of 50 to 60 mile an hour winds that covered many counties at once. lots of down trees and we lost power for two and a half days. i'm sure it was no where near the damage as it was in texas when it came ashore, but they did declare several counties disaster areas.

i've seen horizontal rain before and some odd storms, but this one had to be one of the strangest i've ever seen, all that wind and no rain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0862-dam-1-k-1rp.jpg (188.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0874-oak-1-k-1rp.jpg (173.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0875-down-1-k-1rp.jpg (147.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0877-cleanup-1-k-1rp.jpg (143.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-18-2008, 08:18 PM

these images show just how devastating Ike was:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...l_life_of.html

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon