RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

And suddenly I found myself here...

Old 10-08-2008, 01:47 AM

Talking And suddenly I found myself here...

Hiya all!
This was a surprise..
My wife decided, at "old age" to go into hobby-modelling, and did a rather fun shoot with one of Sweden's most well renowned "mens magazines photographer" last weekend.
While the shoot was both educational and fun, technical problems arised in the studio, flashes died, background papers ran out of supply and then some. The pictures taken are basically great but in heavy need of retouching.

Since the shoot was a friends favour deal, we decided to give the afterwork a try ourselves.. I'm in no way a wizard with photo editing, I'm been playing around "for fun" in Photoshop for years but never really looked in to the "serious" aspects and techniques..
So, I decided to go Google for hints, ideas and tutorials and guess what? I found this place...

I browsed the forums and tutorials for a couple of hours, not spending any real time in actually reading things, but I immediately realized that this site must be one of those really rare gold mines you run into once every 3 or 4 years!

A want to extend a huge "Thank you" to the staff and all people who willingly share all the information here! The amount of information I saw just by glancing the articles and forums would force me to sell our home just to buy in paperback form..

Now to my issues... I'm definately a newbie to both retouching and Photoshop use, but despite my 46 years of age, I'm a fast learner if I just get kicked in the right direction and get some hands on help. Just the fact that I never have used adjustment layers before in my life may give you a hint on what a silly project I've stuck my nose into?

I have somewhere around 500 images, more or less in bad shape, that I need to transform into poster and magazine quality.. Preferably by the end of this week.. Hehehe.. Not really, but at least 10 of these images will be used, and I certainly need some serious help and advice on how to attack this idiot project. And no, I have no ambitions to accomplish this in a couple of days...

Oh well, I guess I need to stop babbling and just ask you folks, where will the right place be to start asking those silly newbie questions like "How do I separate my wife from the dirty background"? That's a start.. Hehe.

I really look forward to get started with Photoshop in a way that's not just play and resize, and I hope you can stand my steady flow of stupid questions like "At what kind of party do you wear your layer mask?".

Signing off for now,
Anders.

(PS. Don't be too kind, my ass is used to getting whipped - After all, I'm married..)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 03:14 AM

Re: And suddenly I found myself here...

Why don't you send me one of the worst of the 10 so I can look at what we have to start with, the higher resolution the better so I can zoom in and get some idea of our quality. My email is cwaltersart@yahoo.com
Hope to talk to you soon.
Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 AM

Hi Anders.
Welcome to RP, there are a lot of talented people here to help you. Post some photo's that you've worked on and see if we can help.
Regards.
Barry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlight View Post
Why don't you send me one of the worst of the 10 so I can look at what we have to start with, the higher resolution the better so I can zoom in and get some idea of our quality.
Thanks a lot for this offer Chris!
I've sent an image straight from the camera, lets hope the email servers along the trip accepts the file size... It was shot with a Canon EOS 30D and stored in JPEG in the camera so it's not huge, but some 2+MB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza64 View Post
Hi Anders.
Welcome to RP, there are a lot of talented people here to help you. Post some photo's that you've worked on and see if we can help.
Regards.
Barry.
Thanks Barry!
Actually I haven't even started to work on them yet... I've just played around in PS to try to get a grip on what things actually do to the images, and haven't saved anything.
But of course I'll post one for you wizards to play with.. ;-) The more hints and ideas I can get the better off I'll be. After all, the photographer, Lazze Geson, really liked shooting her, and asked for more..

I'll look up a proper forum section to post a cry for help...

Again, thank you!
Anders
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 03:47 AM

Welcome Anders

As you have already found out there is loads to learn from here best way is to post a photo then members will get the gist of what has to be done and can point you in the right direction and give the right advice
BUT be prepared to be a little overwhelmed and then hooked
Oh and "old " at 46ish get real that's relatively young, well that's what i say coming from someone still in her forties (late)

Try starting your questions in the "Image help" section of the forum

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 03:59 AM

Thanks palms1.. ;-)
But it is rather "old" for a 46 years old lady to turn into modelling.. ;-) Anyway, I've posted one of the challenges in the "image help" forum...

Anders
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersN View Post
Thanks palms1.. ;-)
But it is rather "old" for a 46 years old lady to turn into modelling.. ;-) Anyway, I've posted one of the challenges in the "image help" forum...

Anders
sorry but the answer that is still no, if that is what you want to do then do it whatever your age

message for you wife "good one girl go for it "

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 05:01 AM

Ye, ye... Whatever..
True, we always do what we feel like doing.. Like me, learning advanced image editing "at old age".. Hehe..

And true as well is that everybody here is cheering her!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon