RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

It's so d**n hard to get started!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 01:04 PM

It's so d**n hard to get started!!!

Hello everybody!

I did not start with Photoshop 1 in 1990 but with an actual real 3D brush in my hand retouching on real film in 1991 in Germany.
After learning the fine art of real retouching I had the opportunity to learn on a digital retouching workstation called DigiDesign and a Chromacom System and it was all great - but even then, of course not the newest most up-to-date equipment.
From 1997 until 2007 then I worked in a PrePress Studio where I was responsible for retouching 99.9% of the pictures, had to maintain the epson stylus proof printer, calibrating it every day as well as all the monitors and was also working on a heidelberg chromagraph s3300 drum-scanner and topazII.
Since 10.2007 I am not in the Rochester-area from where my wife is.
We have 2 little kids and are staying at my in-laws house because we have to start from scratch after moving from Germany.
I tried to find work and sent out 240 applications to over 60 different companies without any luck.
So I had to come up with a decision - either keep looking (what I am still doing) or start my "own little thing"...and that's what i did.
With A1Retouching I started my own business and now am trying to find clients that need my 18+ years of experience in the PrePress-field and my 11+ years of experience working with Photoshop...
You, reading this...do you have any advice, ideas, suggestions how to contact the right people and where to find these people? Publishers, Photographers, Companies and/or of course even "privat" people that need some very professional help?

I hope I get some replies, that would just be great!
Thank you for reading all this - if you made it all the way down here!
Martin
www.a1retouching.com

(Most of the samples in the portfolio-section are from my previous workplace. The only one so far that I really was working on and was A1Retouching's very first - and so far only - job is the restoration-picture!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2008, 01:54 PM

Re: It's so d**n hard to get started!!!

Martin, I checked out your home page, and to be honest, it does not encourage me to look further. I am not sure if that is your house, work shop, or a Jewish temple? Inviting someone to look at your site is your chance to grab their attention from the very first moment. This would be my first bit of advice to you, spice up your homepage. I hope that this posting does not hurt your feelings, that is not my intent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliph View Post
Martin, I checked out your home page, and to be honest, it does not encourage me to look further. I am not sure if that is your house, work shop, or a Jewish temple? Inviting someone to look at your site is your chance to grab their attention from the very first moment. This would be my first bit of advice to you, spice up your homepage. I hope that this posting does not hurt your feelings, that is not my intent.
----------------

Hi Kliph,

do you have a web-page?
what's the URL?
Too bad you did not look further...you would have found out that this "jewish temple" is a 24x20inch and 40 year old photo that had cracks, holes, a sticker on it and absolutely no color anymore, it shows USA's oldest Nuclear Power Plant.

I restored it, found a great printer that did a really great print and found a framer who did a fantastic job with the frame.

That picture was intended to be put in the foyer-area of the Nuclear Power Plant (that's what the picture shows) but is now actually hanging in the office of the CEO of the Power Plants owner...so much for that.

But I guess the first page with that picture on it does not make that clear. Thank you for pointing that out to me!

If I would be a serious person looking for some HighQuality retouching what would matter to me was the quality of some persons previous work.
Have you built any web-pages? Maybe you can give me some advice on that.
Spicing up a homepage is a great thing if you either have the knowledge and time to do it yourself or you have the money to have somebody else do it for you.
I do have some knowledge but am really very short with the money...
I guess until I get some jobs I have time to work on a 3rd update of my web-page...

Thank you Kliph for your comments...
Martin
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2008, 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=A1Retouching;213738]----------------

Too bad you did not look further...

I think that is the problem, you have to get the message to them on the first page. If they have to look further, they won't!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
If they have to look further, they won't!
I think I get the point!
Those things are exactly the kind of critique I need and was looking for...
If I just had a team or something to discuss the look of the web-page before changes are made or before I even started with it...but besides me really nobody else in my family seems to care...

Thank you Mike!
Martin
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Patron

Martin, ** welcome to RetouchPRO!** Nice to have you aboard and hope you enjoy your time here.
I hope you feel at home here and do not take to much offense to things said.. we are only trying to help!

How to start a business and contact clients has been discussed many times in the forums.. the "Search" button above, may be your friend in that respect!

I don't have a website, and I'm not a Pro and I have never built any "Professional" pages! But I did spend some time on your pages..

I think it has very aesthetic colors and was easy to navigate and the look is pleasing and professional at first glance!

I thought the photo on your home page might be your office complex then noticed that very, very slowly it began to change and realized that it was a Gif and might be a before/after..(you might want to insert an explanation there or a more simple before/after)

Gold, Diamond, Internet folders empty
Everything under the Portfolio folder is just redundant (I think it is much better to not have folders/pages as to have empty/under construction ones)

On the Pricing page... when you state, Gold is "Standard" does that mean that Silver is sub-standard and what do you consider as standard.. Silver and Gold same pricing .. what are the differences..

On the click-able Image where it says "walletsize bookmark" there should be a space between "wallet" and "size"

Your list of services offer few or no examples as to what is offered in each of the categories..

Your Photoshop disaster page is a cute idea for an outside link for those who are in the business.. but I personally do not think you should have any of those pictures associated to you in any way.. and would definitely not give the person who is browsing your site a reason to click away!

Maybe this thread may help explain these and some other areas of interest to you.. Things that say I'm not really professional

All in all... If I were not being so critical, I think your web site is on its way to being a revenue generator.. There are just a few changes that should be made, like having lots more high quality examples of your work.. (only the best) and either getting rid of the empty folders or filling them up.

I am just an old retired guy who enjoys using Photoshop.. So, you can take everything I said as my little way of trying to help (as it was meant to be) or disregard it ... tis your choice.

Good Luck in your endeavors!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon