RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Microsoft ***** - down again

Old 12-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Microsoft ***** - down again

i lost my c: drive yet again. this time it only lasted about two years and i came --> <-- that close to buying a Mac two days ago... and if this re-installation of software doesnt start getting easier, it's a sure bet i will. heck, even if i hadnt had troubles, i went browsing the macs at a local store and was drooling in no time. if you're an artist i'd be seriously looking at a Mac. they're pricey, but tons of innovative software, a great backup system (boy, could i have used that five days ago!), a very cool looking screen/tower system (it's actually one piece) and just a really innovative toy (toys are good in this case ).

the downside is closed hardware system making upgrades pretty much 'take it to the shop' only. i dont like this, since i do most of my pc repairs and upgrades myself. another downside is the chicklets keyboard and somewhat odd mouse. those are replaceable with standards, though. and another downside is the fixed upgrade system Apple uses. you buy the $1200 mac and you can only have certain harddrive sizes installed. buy the next price up and you can install larger sizes. buy the next larger price and you can install larger yet. this is not a good sales idea.

anyways, i didnt mean to turn this into a mac vs pc discussion thread. i really just wanted to let folks know where i'd been for the last few days and that i'll be back soon
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Patron

Re: Microsoft ***** - down again

Craig, if you own a PC, your most valuable piece of software is one that creates drive images. Crash your C Drive and your back in business in 15 mins.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 11:29 PM

Mac = PC. All hardware components are taken from China facilities, made by minimum wage. Apple only put a logo.
And it was my finding, when I lost my Apple disk. I was shocked - just a sticker on a rock-bottom Samsung disk... After this I start to score my knowledge. Just google. http://www.maconintel.com/news.php?article=218 - there is hundreds of sites at this theme.
Intel, N-vidia, Samsung aren't apple nor banana or am I wrong?
-----------------------
To protect your data use RAID.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Patron

MM said it best Craig. The only thing with images is how often you create them. My last one is over 3 months old, so I really need to create another one. lol

Still, the best way to recover is from an image. Depending upon the drive side, it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes for the very large ones (or possibly longer), but still much faster then having to re-install all your software and OS with updates. As a side note, Seagate includes a poor man's version of Acronis which I've used more than once and can tell you that it works.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 AM

Apple pretty much assumes that you are either a consumer or a prosumer. The iMac line is designed primarily for consumers or as additional "terminals" working on a networked system where hard drive space is not limited to the individual unit. The iMac is still fairly expandable using external devices (FW/USB hard drives) for which there is no size limit.

The MacPro on the other hand is designed to be the "professional" model. Very expandable (Tbytes of internal storage space with 4 internal hd/bays), copious RAM allocation, and the ability to have very high end graphics/sound cards. I'm not a proponent of daisy chaining USB or FW devices, so I took the option of adding PCI cards to the CPU slots and all external devices are directly connected to the CPU's Bus.

I don't know why PC users have so many problems with hard drives. In 25+ years of running computers, I've never lost a hard drive on a Mac. Not to say it doesn't happen, but (knock on wood), I've not experienced it. I do make daily backups, but the only time I've ever had to reinstall data and apps is when I upgrade computers and Apple's "Migration Assistant" lets me transfer everything (user settings, apps, preferences etc.) via a Fire Wire cable connection. Even OS upgrades can be installed right on top of the old OS (archive and install).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2008, 09:21 AM

I've put together a pretty good disaster recovery system with some freeware programs that I've found on the internet. You need a hard drive to copy your image to (internal or external). I use a large drive that is installed in a removable sled bay. Nothing on that drive except backups. Next you need the ghosting software. DriveImage XML is very good. Next you need a means to get into your computer if it crashes, a boot disk with recovery software (DriveImage XML and other utilities). PE Builder (aka Bart) and UBCDwin (a derivititive of PE Builder) make a boot disk from your installation disk of Win and adds the programs needed. Note that you need a valid installation disk of the operating system, sometimes OEM versions do not work, but mine did. This is for XP. I've not checked to see if this works with Vista. May or may not.

You make a back up of your C drive with DriveImage XML to your backup drive. It is pretty fast (25GB in 30 min) and easy to use. You can do a full restore from this image or restore only selected files. It also does compression and allows the image files to be chunked into a series of small files instead of one large one in case you want to copy to DVD.

Next make the boot disk. You need this because you cannot repair or reinstall the operating system with the operating system running. The boot disk creates its own bare bones operating system which allows you to do the necessary chores on the inactive main operating system. The programs mentioned above create the boot disk with utilities and burns it to a CD. No CD burning software required, its built in.

If you crash, boot from the disaster boot disk. Start DriveImage XML and find your backup image on your backup hard disk. Run DriveImage XML and it will copy the image to your C drive. Back in business unless it was a hardware failure in which case you have to fix the hardware and then restore.

You can also use DriveImage XML to restore non-operating system files without booting. It is actually easier to do than with the commercial ($$) backup software that I used to use.

You can also boot from the disaster disk and run various utilities such as anti spyware and anti virus, check your disks, etc. This is useful for removal of some spyware/viruses because they cannot be removed with the operating system running.

Can also be set up to run unattended using scheduler and bat files. I've not done this so don't know how easy or hard it is to do. What I've done has been fairly easy to do, but does require a little reading/research to figure out and understand.

This is such a heads up - I am not associated with any of the companies. You can find much more about these programs and details on how to use them by googling. I am not usually a big fan of freeware and much of it is crap and you don't know what your getting (spyware/viruses). These programs, however, are very good. Another good one I've found is InfraRecorder which has replaced Nero on my system for burning CD's. It is much easier to use.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2008, 04:49 PM

Why to pay for software? As I said, to protect your data use RAID.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID_0#RAID_1

I have 6 disk inside my Mac,
first for system and application
and 4 disk for RAID 1+0
6th disk is for stuff...
Also I do my archive on external RAID1 disk (always is better to have doubled archive- am I right?)

All PC have some free slots for HDD - you can use software RAID it is for free and is 100% sure! You don't have to remember to make images, or something...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2008, 08:01 PM

swampy,

like i say, i was pretty much impressed, especially with the monitor and software. and yes, i know you can usb external drives to no end, but that's not true drive speed, so one of my peeves is the lack of access to the internals. i like doing things myself re my computer. but, there may be a solution to that. the Mac Tower is impressive and does allow for a more open hardware architecture. there are four drive bays accessed from the outside of the tower and i think the sales guy said they were hot-swappable, which is quite impressive. and they just plug in and out; no wires to hook up or anything. just pull it out or push it back in and voila.

and i absolutely LOVE that there is no registry and that applications can transfer simply by moving them somewhere else.

and lyle and mistermonday, i had a misunderstood about iso/images. i thought the image could only be transferred back to the drive it came from due to microsoft's hardware layer security. it seems that isnt true. it seems it can go back to any reasonable hardware as long as there arent too many differences. so, harddrive to harddrive seems to be ok, providing the new one has the size necessary, but if it was your motherboard that crashed, you couldnt put a new motherboard in and expect things to work again from that iso... it might, maybe, but it would depend on how many differences there were between the original and the new. so, an iso/image is good, but not perfect and you guys doing iso/image backups shld be aware of that. motherboards do wear out, burn out, and go kaput and your iso/image may not work under a new mobo.

so, what i'm doing now is, i've put Ghost 10 back on my system and i'll be doing a dual backup system. i'll back up the entire new harddrive as a baseline by doing an iso/image of it and i'll be doing another incremental backup to an external harddrive that is only turned on for the purpose of backups. i'll also make extra iso/image backups periodically as the system expands.

so, i've got most of my main use software back in place. i've still yet to try to recover the data from the crashed drive and dont know if it will be possible. but at least things are looking better

and thanks, leuallen! most of what you've mentioned is covered by Ghost 10 (Norton), but it's still great to know!

and stopa, yes, much of the hardware is usable by any operating system. it's the operating system that makes the REAL difference between pc and mac and the way they do business.

and i cant use ide raid mirroring on my motherboard (we looked it up while in the store). not all motherboards allow for ide raid. i do like the idea of raid mirroring, but it'll have to wait till i upgrade the mobo someday
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Patron

When transferring from one drive to another via image, your new drive has to either be the exact size or bigger; no exceptions despite any fact that your only using a fraction of the actually size. That's the bummer, but thankfully, drives have so far always gotten bigger and cheaper over the years so that' usually not an issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2008, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
and stopa, yes, much of the hardware is usable by any operating system. it's the operating system that makes the REAL difference between pc and mac and the way they do business.

and i cant use ide raid mirroring on my motherboard (we looked it up while in the store). not all motherboards allow for ide raid. i do like the idea of raid mirroring, but it'll have to wait till i upgrade the mobo someday
I am talking about Software RAID - MacPro doesn't have hardware RAID on motherboard installed. (And please don't glorify Apple!) I am sure that you can download windows sofrware RAID for free.

if you want to buy RAID controller you can buy one for less than 80$!!!
(If you want something for Mac... you will spend 500$ or more)
You install the contgroller and get the 2 or even 512 HDD connectors more!!! Can you imagine??? 512 disk array???
( http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/product...s-Slideshow-US )
And PC architecture is very wide open than MAC! Now Mac is based on Intel architecture MAC = PC.
MacPro is the lowest cost workstation! This is why graphics use MacPro!
Compare this HP-WORKSTATION to MacPro. And I may said that MacPro have really grate price.

Mac is a legend. Mac is a marketing.

Last edited by stopa; 12-14-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon