RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Bed Making 101

Old 05-16-2002, 05:30 PM

Ed, I talked to my mom and whatever is wrong with your finger is NOT trigger-finger. (But you already knew that.)

You say it doesn't hurt (thank goodness!!) Is the knuckle swollen at all? Is the joint stiff, i.e. is the finger pretty much stuck in that position? Or is the joint really loose? Does it hurt to move it at all?

Do you know any chiropractors (they tend to be cheaper than doctors - and this seems like just the sort of thing for a chiropractor)?

Jeanie

Last edited by jeaniesa; 05-16-2002 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2002, 07:15 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Fugitive,

I don't qualify for that. But I appreciate your response.

Jeanie,

Thanks a bunch. If there is any swelling, it is so minor that it's hard to see. There is absolutely no pain, even if I move the finger back into normal position with my other hand. I can move the finger with no problem, but I have to move it with my other hand. When I let go, it just dangles again. There's no problem using the hand, except that the finger sometimes gets in the way. It's something that I can live with, but I'll probably see a doctor or chiropractor before too long if it doesn't straighten itself out. Thanks again.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2002, 07:35 PM

If it's "dangling", my mother told me of a friend who had something similar (did it while washing dishes?). She said that the finger was "dangling," but it wasn't broken, and it really concerned her friend who is an avid piano player. The doctor put it in a splint to keep it straight and it eventually healed itself with no other treatment. (I don't know how long it took, but I can find out if you want.)

Obviously, I can't "diagnose" anything for you, but I guess I'm telling you this just to let you know that it shouldn't be too expensive to see a doctor about. (And if you do see a doctor and they want to give you a splint - ask how much it will be. If it's some outrageous price - just make one yourself out of a popsicle stick and gauze tape!)

Glad it's not causing you any pain. I have a feeling you're going to find out how much you use that finger though.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2002, 07:57 PM

Ed,
you've prooved something I've always believed, housework is NOT good for you. There was a lady in Sydney a few months ago who got struck by lightening while washing up in her kitchen at her stainless steel sink. Now your incident with making beds I think in all safety we should all avoid housework as it's a health hazard.
On a serious note hope it won't stop you using the computer, that would ba a disaster.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2002, 08:30 PM

Sanda posts:
Quote:
I think in all safety we should all avoid housework as it's a health hazard.
THAT is one of the BEST tips I've learned here in RetouchPro, Sanda!!

Ed, I'd think seriously about that popsicle stick (or whatever splint your nurse/wife can come up with) for a day or two to keep that finger out of harm's way and to see if it'll straighten out on its own. That'll also keep you out of doing some household chores...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2002, 10:48 PM

We had company that just left. One of the people was another nurse that my wife used to work with. While neither of them are doctors, they did suggest that I might try a splint also. Can't hurt, so I think I'll give it a try. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Jeanie, it's not important to find out how long it took. I think I'll be able to get by pretty well even if it takes a while.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2002, 02:00 PM

Hi, Ed! How's your finger look and feel today?
Have you splinted it yet?
Have you sued the sheet manufacturer for the damage to your photo restoration finger yet?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2002, 02:57 PM

Hi CJ,

It's basically the same as it was before. I put a splint on it yesterday morning. But I'm the type of guy who has to be doing something most of the time. So I was building a trellis for our tomato plants today, and it bothered me to have it on. So off it came. I'll probably see the doc next week. Still no pain. Thanks for asking. I can't believe all the responses there were to this thread! I thought it was odd that something like that could happen from making a bed, and thought someone would get a laugh out of it.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2002, 03:17 PM

I like the chiropractor idea.... just for an evaluation at least... should be at least something that one would recognize... .. hope it gets better.. I pinched a nerve or something once.. by sleeping on my hand... my right hand... and it never moved for over two months .. just stayed retracted...
guess it might not relate as there was no snap such as you heard.. but chiropractors are more reasonable aren't they ... for guidence ?
hope it works out
RonDon
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2002, 03:22 PM

Thanks RonDon. I'm not worried about it. If it stayed like it is for the rest of my life, it wouldn't be anything much to complain about.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon