Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Art in Photography.....Discussion

Old 02-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Re: Art in Photography.....Discussion

Thank you LQQKER! :-) Haven't seen you around lately, but it's always nice to see your smiling avatar!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Re: Art in Photography.....Discussion

I would like to ask about: What is art in photography?
How can you define Photography Fine Art?
When you can say about a photo that it is art?
What is the standard or qualification for the photo to be an art?
Who can tell about any photo that it is an art?
it will inevitably occur in any forum devoted to art, the arts, photography, painting, etc., that someone will ask, and rightfully so, what is art? and oddly, you'll find that no one, even artists, will have a ready definition. this is quite odd. a carpenter can tell you what carpentry is. a plumber can tell you all about and define plumbing. so, it's just a bit odd that artists havent really defined art for themselves and others. i mean, what is art?

well, i finally found someone that can and has, defined it. L. Ron Hubbard defines it quite precisely in his book called, yup... "Art" (i think you can get this at artists, upon reading this, will find themselves going, "of course!" and art critics will find themselves going "oh crap! i'm ruined!". it explains why you'll hear someone say of a thief, 'that guy's a real artist', and why we call a a con artist an artist. it encompasses what art is, what it's for, why we like it and why it isnt limited to any one field of endeavor. it also gives some very good basics in music, painting and other fields. it even covers things like stage presence and stage manners. and it goes into such things as color harmony and color depth. it also covers such things as rhythm in music and prose. and one of the most amazing to me was, the eight(!) types of depth. EIGHT! and, he even goes into how to view art and how some artists get around the pitfalls of working on a single piece over a long period of time. i find this last one VERY useful when doing restorations.

this is good stuff and has become one of my bibles. i HIGHLY recommend it!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon