RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Art in Photography.....Discussion

Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 PM

Art in Photography.....Discussion

Hey all,

I would like to ask about: What is art in photography?
How can you define Photography Fine Art?
When you can say about a photo that it is art?
What is the standard or qualification for the photo to be an art?
Who can tell about any photo that it is an art?

We know that not all artists are photographers, but are all photographers are artists?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 PM

Re: Art in Photography.....Discussion

Well . . . my own opinion is probably questionable, however, photographic art is when you take something that has little to offer as far as photographic value and turned into art where some free spirt makes it their own. It can be any subject, but something that has merit in the eye of the artist / photographer that has the ability to see the hidden potential. I've been doing and observing for sometime now and I've seen simple photographs turned into spectacular results at times. Often, more than not it may have been by accident but maybe not, but it's "always the bottom line results". That said, I'm not sure that there is a simple answer, just end results. If you've been a lurker on this site, I'm sure you've seen exquisite examples of mundane photographs turned into a work of art, simply by how one might see it through their eyes. One of the best ways to determine this is by posting a reasonable photograph (good resolution and composition and let some of the members play with it). Myself, I've seen wonders that I've never considered from some of the members. Your last question, all photographers are not artist, only artist are (which could also be photographers). For example, being a musician/songwriter, I've found players that are incredible, but have no concept on how to create something from scratch. You either can or can't, but you'll never know if you don't try. Only then can you come up with these answers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKER View Post
Well . . . my own opinion is probably questionable, however, photographic art is when you take something that has little to offer as far as photographic value and turned into art where some free spirt makes it their own. It can be any subject, but something that has merit in the eye of the artist / photographer that has the ability to see the hidden potential. I've been doing and observing for sometime now and I've seen simple photographs turned into spectacular results at times. Often, more than not it may have been by accident but maybe not, but it's "always the bottom line results". That said, I'm not sure that there is a simple answer, just end results. If you've been a lurker on this site, I'm sure you've seen exquisite examples of mundane photographs turned into a work of art, simply by how one might see it through their eyes. One of the best ways to determine this is by posting a reasonable photograph (good resolution and composition and let some of the members play with it). Myself, I've seen wonders that I've never considered from some of the members. Your last question, all photographers are not artist, only artist are (which could also be photographers). For example, being a musician/songwriter, I've found players that are incredible, but have no concept on how to create something from scratch. You either can or can't, but you'll never know if you don't try. Only then can you come up with these answers.
Thank you very much for your answer.
Just to add something to your points, for example i could see a work that i don't like it in photography but others or many consider it as an art and same if i like a work very much and do some people and we consider it as an art but to some others it isn't an art, so how and who can decide which is an art and which isn't an art?

I am waiting more contributions from others, so don't be shy and go ahead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 PM

A photograph from a modern day camera is the equuivalent of a work by an old master. They did not have cameras in those days. Mona Lisa would have much preferred a photograph of herself. In short, if you think that a photograph is great and one of the most beautiful things you have seen (such as a portrait of yourself) and would be happy to hang it on your wall, then it is ART.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Along the same line as Dave. I had a college art professor who proffered these words of wisdom. "If it's something that is the last thing you see at night and the first thing you see in the morning and you can live with it for the rest of your life, it is, for you, good art."
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post
A photograph from a modern day camera is the equuivalent of a work by an old master. They did not have cameras in those days. Mona Lisa would have much preferred a photograph of herself. In short, if you think that a photograph is great and one of the most beautiful things you have seen (such as a portrait of yourself) and would be happy to hang it on your wall, then it is ART.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Along the same line as Dave. I had a college art professor who proffered these words of wisdom. "If it's something that is the last thing you see at night and the first thing you see in the morning and you can live with it for the rest of your life, it is, for you, good art."
So it is more a philosophy view of points, hmmmmmm.
When you can tell about any of your work it is an art? could be an art for you, but to others it might not, so where we should go in this topic?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2009, 02:55 PM

Sure it's are for you. Artists paint for themselves. Hacks paint for the masses. LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 PM

Yeah, I gotta agree with the swamp lady (one of my favorite people), you could create something that you may feel is spectacular . . . and that's great. Giving you a big "however" though, if something is done in a compelling fashion and you do it for marketing purposes, the masses alone are the judges & jury and if they agree, it's surely considered special. That's what separates the hobbiest from someone noteworthy and deserving praise. That said, I'm sure there are very many talented individuals that will go through their lives and never be recognized for the talent they possess. A luck factor is also in the equation of ever be discovered for your skills. There's a lot of people that have taken residence on this blue ball we live on.

So . . . I guess the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" has some merit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Sure it's are for you. Artists paint for themselves. Hacks paint for the masses. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKER View Post
Yeah, I gotta agree with the swamp lady (one of my favorite people), you could create something that you may feel is spectacular . . . and that's great. Giving you a big "however" though, if something is done in a compelling fashion and you do it for marketing purposes, the masses alone are the judges & jury and if they agree, it's surely considered special. That's what separates the hobbiest from someone noteworthy and deserving praise. That said, I'm sure there are very many talented individuals that will go through their lives and never be recognized for the talent they possess. A luck factor is also in the equation of ever be discovered for your skills. There's a lot of people that have taken residence on this blue ball we live on.

So . . . I guess the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" has some merit.
OK, thank you very much!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 AM

In my opinion if something is art is if it stirs me in some way and makes me think. I think as a photographer Richard Ramsey is amazing and I love every thing he does. I consider him a great artist and would love to learn what is in his head.... Pat
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon