Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Total newbie excited to be here!!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Talking Total newbie excited to be here!!

My name is Doug and I am brand new to this forum. It was recommended by a friend at where I post regularly.

I have just discovered this new world of photo retouching in the last couple weeks. It seems as if it has been waiting for me my whole life. I used to marvel at the examples of retouched and repaired photos, but I discovered that it was done with the help of software. Until that time, it seemed like magic to me! (Yes, I was that much in the dark!)

I was attracted to this because it perfectly fits my personality and temperament. I love to sit and do long, attention demanding, detail oriented projects, and I have a flair for the artistic.
So this is right "up my alley"! I have watched some tutorials on YouTube, downloaded Gimp, and completed maybe a half dozen projects, and am tickled pink by the results! (I even put hair on my bald head!) I know and am confident that I can learn and master this, with time and patience, of course. I am a sponge just soaking up everything I can learn!

I am really glad to be here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Smile Re: Total newbie excited to be here!!

if i had only half your enthusiasm i'd be running on rocket fuel...wishing you all the best,
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Re: Total newbie excited to be here!!

I think the whole field is pretty exciting, but I think my initial focus, as an abecedarian in this field, will have to be in restoration of damaged photos.

I have always been entranced by old black and white photos from the 1800's and thereabouts. They are time capsules!

I have seen sample work that others have done with photos from this period, and have been totally amazed at the magic they have worked in these hopeless examples. Some of the ones I have seen were so impossibly destroyed beyond hope that it is nothing short of a miracle that they can be brought back to a state of newness and crystal clarity.

I think, overall, those examples are specifically what drew me to this new (for me) field.

I don't ever expect to be rich once I become proficient at this, but I hope that I can start a new sideline to at least supplement my present job.

Right now I have little money to work with..certainly don't have the bucks to shell out for Photoshop, so I had to download the poor man's version, Gimp.

I can probably guess that that program is looked down upon by the pros, but when you don't have the money, (in today's economy) you have to do what you have to do. "Free" is considered a Godsend, believe me you. It will at least get me started.

I am guessing that after the initial outlay for Professional software and such, there is fairly low overhead involved?

I need to be circumspect and wise and get all the facts! That is one reason why I have come here. I greatly appreciate any help and information that anyone can share, or that I can glean as I "pick every one's brain".

Hope I don't end up being a pest!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon