RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

'sup...

Old 04-21-2009, 12:14 PM

'sup...

i have been searching for techniques to get me started, and every time i google retouching, there are always good posts from this site. so i decided to join.

i shoot quite a bit of glamour/fashion/men's magazine-styled stuff. my images seem unfinished. i don't yet have that finishing touch that good retouching does, and for that, i have not been able to approach some of the published models my mentors are shooting. I NEED SOME SKILLZ!!!!

oh. and hello.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 01:49 PM

Re: 'sup...

Hi Cre8tiveBro, yo sho found the right place. Look around and enjoy.
Welcome to RetouchPro
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 01:57 PM

thanx for the reception. i am trying to learn a thing or two...

i wanna find out what i need to do (in addition to practice, practice, practice) to make my images look like something in a men's magazine like fhm or maxim ... i know how to blur ... i just don't know what to do once i have a beautifully blurred image
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 02:03 PM

ha, you shouldn't say that bad "b-word" here....pro's will jump on you.
Do a search for "dogde and burn" or "degrunge" have a look in the tutorial section like here: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213 and you'll discover a whole new world of retouching
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 02:12 PM

Thanx! ... and I will be sure not to utter the "b-word" again in the presence of professionals
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8iveBro View Post
i have been searching for techniques to get me started, and every time i google retouching, there are always good posts from this site. so i decided to join.

i shoot quite a bit of glamour/fashion/men's magazine-styled stuff. my images seem unfinished. i don't yet have that finishing touch that good retouching does, and for that, i have not been able to approach some of the published models my mentors are shooting. I NEED SOME SKILLZ!!!!

oh. and hello.
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.

Instead of focusing on the retouch end for the photos you shoot, maybe you should focus on the lighting, equipment and skills you have available for your photo sessions.. the pictures in RAW should already POP if you are shooting correctly and need minimum retouching... got any samples so we can offer suggestions on either the shoot setup or retouching alternatives?

You can post a fairly large pictures which is under 100k using the save for web function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)
This may also help some... How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads?(Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link, but also please attach an under 100K version here (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).
If you do not have your own site to host your larger pictures alternative Image Hosts are: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO)-- then post a link here in the thread to the site that is hosting your larger image.

Maybe I shouldn't say it but for Retouching... Practice Cubed the following:

1. That Soft Dior Look for Portraits
2. The quick de-grunge trick
3. So So to So Sexy
4. Wet Skin
5. How to create Metal-Like Skin
6. Amy Dresser Tutorial.pdf
7. Comments and work flow from Amy Dresser(Download the PSD at the bottom of the post to see the work flow she used to achieve this)
Also watch this tutorial by HuBBa about how to work with Dodge & Burn retouching techniques on skin at "HuBBa's Photo-a-day(almost Plogg"

Hope this helps .... Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon