RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

BOOKS.. that alter us

Old 05-29-2002, 01:48 PM

The Diary of Anne Frank mostly because I was lucky enough to see inside the Hide away they had to survive in for 2 years and visit Dachau concentration camp.

I loved Flowers For Algernon.

Also the Rama series by Arthur C Clark and Gentry Lee

Of course I can't forget The Lord of The Rings

Watership Downs was really good too.

That's about all I can think of at this moment.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2002, 01:23 AM

I enjoy reading, and could read before I went to school. However, now having to wear specs, I find it a bit of a mission to locate my reading specs (there's computer specs, reading specs, driving specs) hence I don't read as much as I used to.

Important books for me:
Black Beauty The first "big people's" book I read (in grade 1 or 2). I still have this particular book in my collection.
A Layman's Guide to the Nuclear Age Someone gave me this book in grade 4 or 5. This set the course for my university career.
On the Beach by Nevil Shute. Made me realise very early on how transient the human race is. (I have a complete leather bound collection of Nevil Shute books, all of which have been read and re-read many times.)
Lord of the Rings Given to me by a girlfriend before I went to university. Like CJ, I feel that Tolkien's descriptive writing makes you see the scene. One of the best books I've read about the fight between good and evil. I'm busy re-reading Fellowship of the Ring at the moment, and am impressed at how well the current movie follows the book.

I also enjoy "antique" science fiction (John Wyndam and HG Wells). And of course, one mustn't forget Sherlock Holmes.

I enjoyed most of Ayn Rand's books, but her philosophy is impossible to attain, so I treated them more as fantasy stories than anything else.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2002, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dubovsky
The Diary of Anne Frank mostly because I was lucky enough to see inside the Hide away they had to survive in for 2 years and visit Dachau concentration camp.

I loved Flowers For Algernon.

Also the Rama series by Arthur C Clark and Gentry Lee

Of course I can't forget The Lord of The Rings

Watership Downs was really good too.

That's about all I can think of at this moment.
DJ
IMO the Diary sums up and condences all the hurt and pain the Jews went thru in the horrible war.
greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2002, 09:41 AM

Greg,
I think the part that affected me most was getting to know this teenager and realizing she was no different than any of us with all the dreams and hopes of a future she would never experience. Then seeing how they lived and feel their terror at the slightest noise and finally knowing what happened in the end. When I went to Dachau, and I'm not even Jewish, but I couldn't imagine 6 million people until I saw a huge endless wall covered in concentration camp locations. There were so many of them. It has to affect you no matter who you are. And Anne Frank's diary put a name and personality to those unknown 6 million faces.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2002, 09:34 PM

I will need more time to think of the books that had a great influence upon me. I have always enjoyed reading about people and their lives. All of us, including the greats, have had our ups and downs. It is interesting and educational to observe how people react to stress and adversity. A substantial number of successful people have failed several times.

Although I have gained considerable insight from the many motivational books that I have read over the years, I have been mostly influenced by how others have lived their lives. This becomes even more interesting when their actions and roles are studied within the context of historical events.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2002, 03:10 AM

Well I’ll throw in my 2 bob’s worth……
I'm over the limit too !!!

Laurie Lee; As I set out.

The record of the authors trek through 30’s Spain as a young boy mainly on foot and with the civil war looming in the background. Proved to me you could visit and appreciate countries on little money and meet the people not other tourists.

George Orwell; Down and out in Paris and London.

One of Orwells lesser known works chronicling his adventures on the breadline before the war. His experiences were self inflicted as a touchstone for his writing, he was never poor. His description of ordinary life in Paris is riveting stuff.

Giovanni Guareschi; The world of Don Camillo

Endless fictional confrontations between catholic priest and communist mayor in 50’s Italy.

Times Atlas:

I’ve planned a thousand trips within its pages. And managed to complete some of them !

Clive Cussler; Any

His stuff has killed the tedium of innumerable flights and train journeys. Adventure nonsense with brand names !

Stephen Brook; Any

Bemused Englishmen travelling the US.

Finally anything by

Frederick Forsyth
George Melly
Anybodies Diaries bring on the anecdotes !

Finally interesting how Ann Frank and her family were betrayed by her countrymen.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon