RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

BOOKS.. that alter us

Old 05-27-2002, 10:23 PM

BOOKS.. that alter us

I was sitting here mulling things over .. and as often is the case realized my thoughts were probably prompted by books I've read..

nothing unusual there.. but taking into account I haven't read a book for close to 20 years.... I realized that maybe we could pass on to younger members that the written words have a great impact also ...

a picture is worth a thousand words ... there are many thousands of words in a good book though..

so.... leaving religion (and photo's) out of it... thought I might ask.. what are the top 5 books that folks think may have had an impact on the way they view life.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 10:35 PM
Janitor

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert Persig (god, I hate being a cliche, but there it is)

Chop Wood, Carry Water: A Guide to Finding Spiritual Fulfillment in Everyday Life, by Rick Fields

Real World Photoshop, by David Blattner and Bruce Fraser

Ringworld, by Larry Niven

Growing a Business, by Paul Hawken
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 10:37 PM

ah.... but one crossed the line... no photo's .... sorry . and the last thought out response ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 10:56 PM
Janitor

Ah, then substitute Internet Unleashed, 1993 edition
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 10:59 PM

done....
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 11:05 PM

Ishmael - Daniel Quinn

In the Absence of the Sacred: The Failure of Technology and the Survival of the Indian Nations - Jerry Mander

Diet for a New America - John Robbins

Spiritwalker - Hank Wesselman

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 11:08 PM

Chaos by James Gleick

Art and Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland

The Pleasure of Finding Things Out: The Best Short Works of Richard P. Feynman by Richard Feynman (actually, any book by Feynman is a wonderful read!)

Night by Elie Wiesel

The Real Frank Zappa Book by Frank Zappa...

...I'll throw in one more - Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 11:22 PM

You asked for 5, but I was on a roll!

Rondon... Interesting thread. You got me rollin'...

Simple Abundance, Sarah Ban Breathnach. (Strong reinforcement for the "Attitude of Gratitude" model for living.)

Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical & Financial Destiny!, Anthony Robbins. (Biggest breakthrough: I have the power to choose my attitude.)

The 21 Success Secrets of Self-Made Millionaires: How to Achieve Financial Independence Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible, Brian Tracy. (The title is very misleading; it was definitely used for marketing purposes. The focus is on work habits and attitudes for success.)

Unleashing the Power Within: How to Change Who You Are to Get What You Want, Joe Land.

A Whack on the Side of the Head; A Kick in the Seat of the Pants, Roger van Oche. (The ultimate book on spurring creativity.)

Success Is Never Ending. Failure Is Never Final, by Robert Schuller. (Came in especially handy when I was unemployed [for the first time in my life] for nearly a year and was having a heck-of-a-time finding work. Then I was hired by Microsoft, and lemons eventually turned to lemonade.)

1-2-3 Magic: Effective Disciplin for Children 2-12, Thomas W. Phelan, Ph.D. (Utilizing these techniques have made the first almost 6 years of parenting a lot more sane. Based on feedback we get from parents and teachers, they're working well.)

The Girl, The Gold Watch and Everything, John D. McDonald.

White Fang and Call of the Wild, Jack London.

OK. I'll shutup now :o and go back to (re)reading what I think is the absolute best Photoshop book on the planet, one reviewed and discussed many times at RP, one written by Katrin.

~DannyR~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 11:22 PM
Janitor

Ishmael was marvelous. They totally butchered it for the movie, though. Very sad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2002, 11:27 PM

"The Mother West Wind Stories" that I read as a child reinforced my love of nature and animals, and my belief that every thing on this Earth has its purpose and justification for existence. These stories also strongly taught ethics, and probably made even more sense to me than my parents' teachings about the importance of hard work, respectful treatment of each other, and doing the right thing every day.

"Marshmallow" is also a child's book -- a simple story of an old lady, her cat, and the addition of a baby bunny to the household. The storyline included cute little poems, and the book was illustrated (no photos, Ron -- I'm not breaking any rules) with soft, lovely charcoal drawings. I love this book! I'm sure that I already loved cats when I first read the book (or had it read to me), but after I read it, I also loved poetry, illustrations, and bunnies. "A house is not a home without a bunny!"

"The Lord of the Rings" trilogy (first read one summer while I was in college) opened my eyes to the Beauty of the written word -- this was the first time that I enjoyed the descriptions of the people, their surroundings, etc. instead of scanning it quickly to get to the "good stuff" -- the plot turns, the action, the character development. To this day, I can turn to ANY page in the three books and enjoy what I read, instead of having to go to the beginning of a chapter to be in synch with the storyline. I also think of Frodo and Sam when I am faced with a big challenge -- I try to be a brave hobbit.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon