RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Advertise Here

when to use. eps, tif, jpeg, png

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 PM

Question when to use. eps, tif, jpeg, png

When should I use eps, tif, jpeg, png.

How to make buttons in Photoshop and bring them into Dreamweaver.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Re: when to use. eps, tif, jpeg, png

I use eps for art or photos with a clipping path to import into Quark or InDesign. tif doesn't compress the image so it is saved without losing any pixel informaton, commonly used if you want to keep full resolution files. File sizes are larger. png is usually used for webpage photos and art. jpg for web art, emailing pics to relatives or friends. gif generally used for web illustrations like buttons or animated icons.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:12 PM

I believe for buttons you make them in photoshop with transparent background and save as gifs. Then import them where they go on the page in dreamweaver. The simplest is a color shape with a bevel filter applied. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:14 PM

And... if you have layered photoshop artwork, always save a copy as a photoshop psd file before you flatten it so you have a master to go back into for changes.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Patron

png and gif are both good formats to use for the web if you need transparency. Gifs can also do some simple animation. For buttons, I prefer to use png, as they remain sharper. Either can be used for rollovers, as you will do the rollover with code. Dreamweaver can generate the needed code for you, if you use the wizard. Use jpg for photo type images where transparency isn't required, but you want compression.

As far as making buttons go, you can be as simple or creative as you can imagine. You can make a simple button with a rectangle, apply bevel and emboss, and some text in the center.

In any case, when you create your images in photoshop, I recommend that you never flatten your images. Keep your layers, so you can make updates whenever you need. When you are happy with your image, use image ready to save your image for the web. You can access image ready in CS3 or CS4 by pressing Ctrl,Alt,Shift S. (or Cmd,Option,Shift S for the Mac).
Old 06-19-2009, 10:19 PM

.jpg is probably the most used on this site. the reason is because .jpg can reduce in file size without reducing image size. that means you can take a 500,000 byte file size that's, let's say, 800 x 600 pixels, and reduce the file size to 100,000 bytes and still have it be 800 x 600 pixels. this is called a 'lossy' file type, meaning, data is lost without losing image size and that, often, when someone makes a duplicate of a .jpg, some amount of data is lost in the copy process. normally this is nominal but can result is a fair amount of deterioration in the copy. most formats are not lossy; they are lossless.

.tif and .pgn are both good for saving transparencies. i give .png the slight edge there, but both are good for this. these are both lossless formats. when you make a copy of these formats, no data is ever lost. the images do not reduce the same way as a .jpg does (in most cases). you'll often see folks ask for an image to be in .tif or .png when they want to ensure a perfect copy, particularly in the business world.

you didnt mention .bmp, but this is a good format also. it is also lossless. it used to be used quite a bit more than it is today. i used to use this format for high quality images.

.gif came from the old compuserve network (pre-internet). it was made for smaller file sizes while not losing image size so that folks networking at 300 baud (baud is an old network speed rating. 300 baud is extremely slow compared to today's speeds). .gifs also fit the early requirements for digital animations. they could be reduced to compress the animation file sizes and yet retain a fair amount of the image quality. so, they got a good reputation in making digital animations and sometimes in slide presentations.

i dont use eps at all, so i've no idea about that one.

try this site for more info: http://www.scantips.com/basics09.html