Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Hello Folks!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Hello Folks!

Hey folks!

Glad to be here. Looking forward to passing what i have learned as well as recieving C&C and tips.

I am rather new to this i guess. It all started when I bought my first DSLR Camera last September. I started shooting and learning how aperature, shutter, and ISO all intermix. Once i started getting the hang of it, i started to realize that a lot of my wedding photo's from that summer just were not up to snuff, the composition was great, but they were all underexposed, tilted, etc. I took it upon myself to learn how to correct the problems with the pictures.

At first it was simple, correct the horizon, blemish tool, levels adjustment..

Then i started noticing bigger issues and started cloning and working on color corrections, layers, masking, cloning, etc..

Then I just quit working on the wedding album for a while. I got tired of re-doing each photo from scratch with the new techniques i had picked up! So i went through about a dozen books on CS3, scores of online tutorials, and i finally hit the point where im not learning anything new from a lot of the books or tutorials.

So i revisted the album, ended up redoing about half the pictures again from scratch and finally got it to where i wanted and i am now waiting for the finished book to arrive from Blurb to give to my wife on our anniversary in a few weeks.

Ive been searching for pictures to correct and restore. I just find all of this to be a very relaxing and rewarding process, and now im on the lookout for my next project, in the meantime i have some friends/family/co-workers who are getting thier most damaged photos so i can take a whack at fixing them.

Nice to be here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Re: Hello Folks!

Is it Jack or Rip ?? ...... for now I'll stick with Jack
I hear similar stories from many people about how they got started. And yes we have had those relatives push a few images our way.... but that's all good. It starts some great conversations about old times with other family members.

Best of luck with it and hope to see some of those restores.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Re: Hello Folks!

Hi Jack,
Playing with those wedding pictures can be a slippery slope to spending way too much time and money restoring photos! I started there too and just kept going. It's kind of an addiction... I consider myself a photoshopoholic!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon